Woodpecker Tremolo

Haven't considered using the relay bypass module for a build - just re-read the description on the shop's site. What other pedals would you all consider popping one of those modules in? That thing has some pretty sweet creative applications the more I think about it.

Nice idea utilizing it for the Woodpecker!

Haven't considered using the relay bypass module for a build - just re-read the description on the shop's site. What other pedals would you all consider popping one of those modules in? That thing has some pretty sweet creative applications the more I think about it.

Nice idea utilizing it for the Woodpecker!

I like to consider relay switching for anything that isn't "always on" for me (e.g., a compressor—although some folks use compressors as an 'effect' and don't have it always on) or something that I might want to use momentarily. Mostly, time-based or modulation effects are good candidates. They can be good for distortion/OD, too. You just have to weigh the pros/cons and consider how you use things. A SPST switch has better longevity and smoother actuation and you have a momentary option. But there are more parts, it's a bigger footprint, some relay switching circuits have a brief muting period to avoid switching noise, and it's an overall more expensive switching option.

I like to consider relay switching for anything that isn't "always on" for me (e.g., a compressor—although some folks use compressors as an 'effect' and don't have it always on) or something that I might want to use momentarily. Mostly, time-based or modulation effects are good candidates. They can be good for distortion/OD, too. You just have to weigh the pros/cons and consider how you use things. A SPST switch has better longevity and smoother actuation and you have a momentary option. But there are more parts, it's a bigger footprint, some relay switching circuits have a brief muting period to avoid switching noise, and it's an overall more expensive switching option.
Pretty much this. Also, It'd be cool on a reverb if it had trails but I don't think any PCBs do that here.

Pretty much this. Also, It'd be cool on a reverb if it had trails but I don't think any PCBs do that here.

I definitely agree. I was going to add a line about time-based effect trails, but I thought that got a little away from the original question since that often adds circuit modification or use of a looper.

Making a stand-alone looper pedal that allows for trails bypass with the relay would be a good idea. The looper box would be: signal in -> effect loop send -> effects in the loop (switched on) -> effects loop return -> signal out.

I’m really into utility circuits like that that can allow using existing effects in new ways. Feedback routing is an easy addition to a looper circuit like that. Doing it well, though, to contain runaway noise and high-pitched saturation is another thing entirely.

Wow. I completely misunderstood what that was supposed to do. And obviously did not stop to read the description closely.

Which P Touch do you use? Does it do all the design labels?
An older ptd600. I use the software that you have to download for your computer and connect it via USB cable. Basically, I can print any image or font from whatever's on my computer screen. The stock fonts that it comes with straight from the machine are much simpler and IMO kinda boring. I find a cool font on the internet, test it with what I want it to say, snap an image of it, then print it on my P-Touch.

Last edited:
The ptd600. I use the software that you have to download for your computer and connect it via USB cable. Basically, any image or font I can print from my computer. The stock fonts that it comes with are much simpler. I find a cool font on the internet, test it with what I want it to say, snap an image of it, then print it on my P-Touch.
Do you use it with a clear background?

This is the software I am speaking of. It's called P-Touch Editor. It has a thing called "snapmode" that allows you to screen capture anything. In this photo I snapped "overcast" and it resized it to what it would look like on a tape.
IMG_20190610_224447.jpg

And in this photo the nun is split into 3 tapes because I like a challenge. ?The body from head to toe is one tape and each wing are tapes. I use a pair of sharp fine detail scissors and my optivisor and cut em out right along the lettering or image.
IMG_20191008_120831.jpg

Awesome I might give it a try, where so you buy your clear labels?
Here are the white on clear I use

You'd have to dig a little deeper on Amazon to find the different colors on clear. They're around you just have to pay close attn to the details. I haven't found any colored clear bigger than 12mm but 18mm is preferred...more versatile. And save a ton by buying off brand, not Brother brand.

Last edited:
Back