XC Phase trimpot

Kroars

Just finishing up the boards population on this one and find I don’t have a 250k trimpot, but I do have a 300k. I’m unsure of how touchy the bias is? Will a 300k make it more challenging to get it where it needs to be? Is there a particular voltage on one of the 2n5952’s I’m shooting for with the bias trimpot or is it supposed to be by ear?

Thanks!!

I agree with Mcknib. It might be a little touchy finding that perfect sweet spot with that trimmer but, you should be good to go. Just adjust by ear to personal taste. It’s pretty evident what works and what doesn’t when your adjusting the bias.

It is a small range on the trimpot but I don't think it'll make a whole lotta difference using a 300K

You're looking for 2 to 2.5v on the fet gates
Just curious, I'm building this pedal currently and I'm seeing three options for trim pots on stompbox parts...
What is the difference between 3362M vs P? there is also a 3382p... and which should I use for the xc phase.
I've only done one build with trimmers so far and I'm not well versed in the difference.

Just curious, I'm building this pedal currently and I'm seeing three options for trim pots on stompbox parts...
What is the difference between 3362M vs P? there is also a 3382p... and which should I use for the xc phase.
I've only done one build with trimmers so far and I'm not well versed in the difference.
3362P is what you need.

P vs M is the style/size of 3362 series trim pot. P is top adjustable orientation. M looks like side adjustable.

You can check out the 3362P datasheet. It has a rundown of all of them.

Awesome, I rolled the dice and that's what I ordered... now if I could just find a quartet of 2N5952's
I bought recently from stompboxparts.com. Sadly, since I built an Xphase for a friend, I got 4 only. After hearing the pedal with the 2N5952 in comparison with 2N5457, I felt guilty. I should have bought more =(. Stompbox sell the 2n5952 for 4$ for 2pcs. Now it is out of stock and some seller sells it for like17$ for 4pcs.

Last edited:
Just finishing up the boards population on this one and find I don’t have a 250k trimpot, but I do have a 300k. I’m unsure of how touchy the bias is? Will a 300k make it more challenging to get it where it needs to be? Is there a particular voltage on one of the 2n5952’s I’m shooting for with the bias trimpot or is it supposed to be by ear?

Thanks!!
I tuned it by ear. I just tossed listening between listening the bypass and while effect is on. And so far what I heard was impressive. I can hear the quality clean tone of my Dimarzio pickups while blending with the the phasing. I thought, you will get somewhat and non effecting sound until you get the unpleasant compression (distort) sound as you turn the trimpot clockwise. Back it off very gradually until you hit the sweet spot. I intend to seal the trimpot with glue gun to make sure it doesn't move.

Last edited:
I tuned it by ear. I just tossed listening between listening the bypass and while effect is on. And so far what I heard was impressive. I can hear the quality clean tone of my Dimarzio pickups while you have the phasing. I thought, you will get somewhat and non effecting sound until you get the unpleasant compression (distort) sound, Back it off very gradually until you hit the sweet spot. I intend to seat the trimpot with glue gun to make sure it doesn't move.
Thanks for the tips. I really wish the bias voltage was included in the build docs. Fortunately I was able to find my answers here, but I'm sorry of a novice/intermediate builder... Had I not joined up here, I would have had no clue what to do or to use on some of these builds... like diodes marked "GE"... No clue other than it means a "Germanium Diode", etc

Thanks for the tips. I really wish the bias voltage was included in the build docs. Fortunately I was able to find my answers here, but I'm sorry of a novice/intermediate builder... Had I not joined up here, I would have had no clue what to do or to use on some of these builds... like diodes marked "GE"... No clue other than it means a "Germanium Diode", etc
Well for sure having a reference voltage would get to the ballpark of what the phase should be. But since I didn't measure the voltage, I just used my ear. Even my friend was impressed by it. Together with the CE2 that i built also for him, he will use the phaser on his vintage Fender rhodes

Back