What's on the workbench?

I traced it a few months ago, it's in line for a layout sometime in the near future.

Be careful if you aren't familiar with SMD film caps (it has quite a few). You can't accurately measure them in-circuit but they're plastic and will melt almost instantly if you hit them with the soldering iron.

View attachment 21252
Hey thanks for the heads up. Do you think you can fit it into a 125b, or a1590bb?

Reactions: fig
Apparently stacking PCB's is the latest concept!

Sometimes it's the only way if you don't want a 1590DD. It's also working really good for isolating noise sources from the audio path.

They might be a bit intimidating at first but after one or two they're fairly easy to assemble. Troubleshooting doesn't have to be torture either, all you need is some male/female jumper wires (like you'd use with a breadboard) and you can run both boards side by side on the bench.

With that said, I don't think they're a good candidate for a first time builder.... but neither are the circuits that would justify them.

Sometimes it's the only way if you don't want a 1590DD. It's also working really good for isolating noise sources from the audio path.

They might be a bit intimidating at first but after one or two they're fairly easy to assemble. Troubleshooting doesn't have to be torture either, all you need is some male/female jumper wires (like you'd use with a breadboard) and you can run both boards side by side on the bench.

With that said, I don't think they're a good candidate for a first time builder.... but neither are the circuits that would justify them.
Oh no, I would greatly dislike trying to walk someone through troubleshooting a double board like that.

In some ways it can make troubleshooting easier.

Lamp not pulsing in the ElectroVibe Mini? You can remove the top board and set it aside. All of the LFO / lamp drive circuitry is on the bottom layer. Lamp pulsing properly but having an audio issue? Focus on the top board, aside from a pot and switch the signal path is up there.

Of course not all problems are that straightforward, it can just as easily become a nightmare in the wrong hands.

I suspect the real troubleshooting nightmares will be SMD projects since you can't always visually inspect the component values (or type) from photos. It's not likely you'd install a resistor where a cap goes in a through-hole build (although it has been done), but with SMD all bets are off.

Let's not even think about stacked SMD builds yet... o_O:ROFLMAO:

You have a real Evenflow of pedals coming across the bench lately. You're lucky to be Alive with a workflow like that. I Once knew a guy named Jeremy who had a Deep work ethic like yours and I asked him, "Why Go through this? What do you get out of it?"

Of course he said, "I get a tremendous Release from working on pedals and I love to contemplate the the Black Oceans of my mind as I look out on the Garden from my Porch and trace these circuits."

Really stuck with me all these years.

You have a real Evenflow of pedals coming across the bench lately. You're lucky to be Alive with a workflow like that. I Once knew a guy named Jeremy who had a Deep work ethic like yours and I asked him, "Why Go through this? What do you get out of it?"

Of course he said, "I get a tremendous Release from working on pedals and I love to contemplate the the Black Oceans of my mind as I look out on the Garden from my Porch and trace these circuits."

Perhaps an Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town will scan the outbound parcels when the PCBs ship

You forgot Last Train to Clarksville…

• Love
It was on the Wishlist, after all.....
What I put in my wishlist is Not For You to decide. I’m Open to suggestions, but most of these samey Glorified G-dang AIAB pedals leave me feeling Indifference. Honesty I just wonder: Why Go through the trouble of hyping up every AIAB pedal Once they Release?
Are they collecting pedals because it’s actually of utility to them, or is it just that they Can’t Keep themselves fro indulging in a materialistic consumer-fetishism just to feel a little bit Alive— “Help, Help” they cry, as they are Swallowed Whole by existential dread. Or maybe it’s not that Deep…

What I put in my wishlist is Not For You to decide. I’m Open to suggestions, but most of these samey Glorified G-dang AIAB pedals leave me feeling Indifference. Honesty I just wonder: Why Go through the trouble of hyping up every AIAB pedal Once they Release?
Are they collecting pedals because it’s actually of utility to them, or is it just that they Can’t Keep themselves fro indulging in a materialistic consumer-fetishism just to feel a little bit Alive— “Help, Help” they cry, as they are Swallowed Whole by existential dread. Or maybe it’s not that Deep…

Now look what I started....

Back