470 Ohm reading 390 Ohm all of them

Dan0h

So this is odd, I checked some of my resisitors today and not just one pink baggie but several pink baggies from different orders, every single 470 ohm resistor measuread in the 390 ohm range. For one bag to be off I could understand but for 3 different bags to be off from different orders has got me scratching my head. This applies to two bags of Metal and one bag of Carbons, very strange.

About a year ago I stoped DMM'ing all my resistors as I build. But now I am thinking, how many of my builds this last year that used 470 Ohm Resistors really hae 390 Ohm's in their place. thats a 16% swing, The issue is that I don't really know what I am missing (if anything) as I am sure older resistors in older pedals may have drifted by 16% or even more.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone else has run into this. Can someone check their tayda 470 Ohms and see if they read 390 Ohm?

Last edited:
Also tested my 1/8W stash and those 470s are also measuring 390 Ohm. So four bags in total.

Have you measured other values to see if maybe your meter is out of spec, or the batteries are low?
100% that was my first thought too, everything else I test today was on spec. Battery and DMM are good.

So strange. I'ma go measure a few of mine

Edit- measured ten of each-
metal films from Tayda measure in spec, both 1/4 and 1/8w.
Carbon films from a surplus supplier all measured slightly higher but still in spec

Well tonight, I will be searching all my build docs to see what pedals have 470's in them and testing them. Might have to order some from Stompbox...
What are the color codes?¿

I’d think I’d be more likely they put the wrong resistors in the bag…

I just tested a small sample of the 1/4w 470Ω 1% metal film I have on-hand from Tayda and got the following:
1. 467.5Ω
2. 467.5Ω
3. 468.8Ω
4. 469.5Ω

Very strange that you're seeing such a large variance. Is it possible that your meter needs a new battery? *Edit: I see that you've already confirmed that it's not a meter issue.

Yeah I bet they 390r in the 470r baggie…

I switched up some 47ohm with 47k ohm one time… it was a disaster…

I just tested a small sample of the 1/4w 470Ω 1% metal film I have on-hand from Tayda and got the following:
1. 467.5Ω
2. 467.5Ω
3. 468.8Ω
4. 469.5Ω

Very strange that you're seeing such a large variance. Is it possible that your meter needs a new battery?
My DMM reads everything else I tested properly. Just these several bags of 470 ohms, dumbfounded. How could the wrong Resistors be bagged four different times.

Yeah that’s sketchy…

I’m just saying I don’t think it’s the quality of their parts just the quality of the sorting… I hope…

I wish I could say my wife is playing a trick on me but she is so far from understanding what a resistor even is, there is no way she would be able to pull this off. And When I tested my 390's they all tested correctly.

My DMM reads everything else I tested properly. Just these several bags of 470 ohms, dumbfounded. How could the wrong Resistors be bagged four different times.
If the colors are correct when you get home to check them, try measuring a few of these 470Ω resistors using a different DMM.

Back