Caesar Chorus Volume

323411592_1620458801726762_8022356809073899791_n.jpg

Hey gang, just fired up this build, everything is working fine, waveform works albeit a percivable clicking when internal leds are engaged, read that a TL071 could fix this.

But my question is concerning a volume drop, everything i'm reading is saying that it should compensate, but i'm hearing a drop when engaged, even with the blend on dry. I've checked component values, they check out for me, switched out op amps, but still experiencing the problem. It's not horrible, but perceivable loss in low frequences and volume. Is this normal?

Are you testing it all on its own, just guitar in and pedal to amp? If not, give that a shot. It could be an impedance issue with another pedal that’s affecting the output on Ceasar.

Try dressing the lead on the side near the LEDs further away from them, that may help with the LFO ticking. (Actually, just play around with the lead some. I think the ticking is coming from the op amp. A small but of distance can make a difference.)

Nice looking build! Welcome!

Hey! Thanks for your response!

I gave it a shot, ticking went away after moving the wiring.

Still having volume drop tho. I decided to plug it into my daw to get a visual, and it’s not far from being a 50% drop. It’s odd because it sound great

Hey! Thanks for your response!

I gave it a shot, ticking went away after moving the wiring.

Still having volume drop tho. I decided to plug it into my daw to get a visual, and it’s not far from being a 50% drop. It’s odd because it sound great
That’s definitely not how it should be. I’m not sure if bogus chips in the pair that do the modulation (which have proven to be popular candidates for faking) could account for the reduced output. And, as you say, it sounds great. But—do you have any other of those that you can sub in, as a test?

That’s definitely not how it should be. I’m not sure if bogus chips in the pair that do the modulation (which have proven to be popular candidates for faking) could account for the reduced output. And, as you say, it sounds great. But—do you have any other of those that you can sub in, as a test?
I think so, I’ll try that

Had a go switching out the bbd, still having the issue. I have a hard time with modulation schematics, could you point me in the direction of the part of the circuit that takes care of make up gain?

Chorus circuits are almost always a perceived volume drop. It's their nature. At best they are a unity gain circuit. If you need/want more volume out of it, you try changing R38 from 47K to 100K or higher. I usually apply a 250K trimpot there and tweak to my liking. (Too high a value there may contribute to OD.)

Chorus circuits are almost always a perceived volume drop. It's their nature. At best they are a unity gain circuit. If you need/want more volume out of it, you try changing R38 from 47K to 100K or higher. I usually apply a 250K trimpot there and tweak to my liking. (Too high a value there may contribute to OD.)
i'll try that then! thanks

but i'm hearing a drop when engaged, even with the blend on dry
Verify all the the parts associated with the input and output. So, up to and including the first op amp stage (IC2.1), the blend network, and everything from IC2.2 on. With the blend completely dry, there’s no BBD circuitry in effect.

If this is not an extreme volume loss, then I’d say it’s normal. With the blended signal, there’s an additive effect than can go a bit loud. It’s tough trying to balance those dynamics and psychoacoustics.

Verify all the the parts associated with the input and output. So, up to and including the first op amp stage (IC2.1), the blend network, and everything from IC2.2 on. With the blend completely dry, there’s no BBD circuitry in effect.

If this is not an extreme volume loss, then I’d say it’s normal. With the blended signal, there’s an additive effect than can go a bit loud. It’s tough trying to balance those dynamics and psychoacoustics.
I went over everything, nothing's out of place and eveything works. But its definitely audible even in dry that there's a volume drop, and checking levels in my daw definitely confirmed it, it's about half as loud. What's weird is that's the ONLY issue. I might just chalk this up to "meh, that's how it is" and just use it when recording, or have it in a boosted loop if i decide to use it live

waveform works albeit a percivable clicking when internal leds are engaged, read that a TL071 could fix this.
By the way, both op amps here are dual and cannot be replaced with a TL071. If you’re getting ticking, route all wires (especially the input, output, and GND wires) as far from the LFO block as possible (i.e., the TL022 and the SHAPE switch).

By the way, both op amps here are dual and cannot be replaced with a TL071. If you’re getting ticking, route all wires (especially the input, output, and GND wires) as far from the LFO block as possible (i.e., the TL022 and the SHAPE switch).
TL071 was a typo, was thinking 072. In any case that’s sorted!

Back
Top Bottom