DEMO EffectsPedalKits UBoat Suboctave

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
This is based on original design by Merlin over at ValveWizard.com. Board by EffectsPedalKits.com.

Easy enough build, and there's only two off board components so I'm happy.

Soundwise, this thing thumps. It's clear, it tracks quickly, and it doesn't seem to glitch out as easily as the OC-2 based circuits. The build docs calls for a TL072, but this didn't sound good at all- the decay was almost like a Prunes and Custard. I have an NE552 in it now, with a handful of LM833s on the way. The 833 is what the designer intended to be used in the comparator spot, so hopefully that works out the few wrinkles left in the sound. It does sound vastly different depending on pickup position, with the neck being the most chest-pumping
As is, it sound pretty good, tracks well, and unlike a lot of other "clean" analog octaves, it has some decent volume on tap, and an internal volume trimmer for the -1 signal.

I'm hoping with the correct chip, I'm able to get closer to the sounds the other demos online show.

I built two simultaneously, they're identical except for a few parts types (electrolytics) and the different JFet part numbers used. The one in the vid uses a 2N5458, the other uses the J112 the build docs calls for. No reason other than I only had the one 112 on hand.
orca-image--595753103.jpeg PXL_20230216_003030043.jpg PXL_20230216_005656817.jpg

Last edited:
Funny, I thought the U-boat and parasit U237 were the same until you mentioned it earlier. Guess I have another sub to build. Looking forward to an update on the lm833.
I'm on the fence about this one. It sounds different enough from demos, that I think there might be something up with itm hopefully it's just the chip.

Otherwise, I've got a Shocktave to build, and I'm considering snagging another BYOC Divided Octave board

Here's a quick and sloppy comparison between the UBoat and the OctaRock, with some Flunkee

The OctaRock is obviously much cleaner sounding, as it's basically the -1 from the OC-2. I'm hoping when I get the 833s in that the UBoat cleans up a bit

Here's a quick and sloppy comparison between the UBoat and the OctaRock, with some Flunkee

The OctaRock is obviously much cleaner sounding, as it's basically the -1 from the OC-2. I'm hoping when I get the 833s in that the UBoat cleans up a bit
I built the UBoat, too. I could never get it to sound good enough for my satisfaction. If you throw a boost in front of it, it sounds better. This frustrated me as I didn't want to throw a boost in front of it. Sold it.

I built the UBoat, too. I could never get it to sound good enough for my satisfaction. If you throw a boost in front of it, it sounds better. This frustrated me as I didn't want to throw a boost in front of it. Sold it.
That makes me kinda sad. The demos I've seen / heard make it sound great. But, the Octarock does a pretty nice clean Octave sound, so I'm not at a total loss

I actually liked the sound of the UBoat in the demo, very synthy & raw.

How 'bout add a boost in the same enclosure, or maybe something like an orange-squeezer that would boost and sustain to give the octaver something to latch on to...

I actually liked the sound of the UBoat in the demo, very synthy & raw.

How 'bout add a boost in the same enclosure, or maybe something like an orange-squeezer that would boost and sustain to give the octaver something to latch on to...
I'm gonna wait til I get the correct chip in before I tinker too much with em
As is, these ones are way fuzzier than Merlin's (or EPK's) demos

Bump!

Chip in, Dale?
Because I'm not sure if you're actually a cat or not and I would never wanna disappoint a cat, here's a quick A/B.

Right side / silver knob/ red LED on the Switchblade has the TL072, the other (green LED on the Switchblade) has the LM833

I honestly like them both, with maybe some slight preference for the 833. I am disappointed that I can't get the cleaner tones showcased on EPK or Merlin's site, but it's still an awesome tone.
I just received Merlin's board for the U-Boat, so I'm gonna build that and see how it fares against this version

Many thankages for the demo and comparison.

I honestly can't say I prefer one over the other, they both have a sound I like. I suppose if forced to choose just one I'd have to say the LM833.
I'd say mount them on a daughterboard with a rotary switch, but ultimately they're too similar to make that endeavour worthwhile.

When you say you have Merlin's board coming, do you mean the THCustom jobbie?

If so, will you build it as a single knob & switch or a two-knobber and switch? Looking forward to vicariously living through your efforts, so that I may choose THC or EPK... I've got a project in mind that involves the UBoot and Merlin's Reverb, too. I've picked up the Sonorus by ELS (Effects Layout Storyboardist), it's an Equinox derivative.

Many thankages for the demo and comparison.

I honestly can't say I prefer one over the other, they both have a sound I like. I suppose if forced to choose just one I'd have to say the LM833.
I'd say mount them on a daughterboard with a rotary switch, but ultimately they're too similar to make that endeavour worthwhile.

When you say you have Merlin's board coming, do you mean the THCustom jobbie?

If so, will you build it as a single knob & switch or a two-knobber and switch? Looking forward to vicariously living through your efforts, so that I may choose THC or EPK... I've got a project in mind that involves the UBoot and Merlin's Reverb, too. I've picked up the Sonorus by ELS (Effects Layout Storyboardist), it's an Equinox derivative.
See post immediately above this one 😅

Yeah, the THCustoms board. Opted for the tracking pot, which is something I did hack onto one of the EPK board before I got the Lm833s in, and ultimately removed because it didn't seem terribly useful. I'll play with it a bit more on the TH board before I decide to leave or take it out

URP! Was asleep when I posted :sleep:. HellYesh, ah kin reed reel gooood. Right on the middle of the board THC; and then again lower left Magical V1.5.

Looking forward to your take on the tracking pot... maybe it's more useful with bass?

URP! Was asleep when I posted :sleep:. HellYesh, ah kin reed reel gooood. Right on the middle of the board THC; and then again lower left Magical V1.5.

Looking forward to your take on the tracking pot... maybe it's more useful with bass?
So far, I've only used the Meteora with the Alumitone and lipstick. I'll play around with a couple others (all 30" baritones) tomorrow before I box it.
I will say though, that the tracking pot on this board definitely has a wider range than the other one

Back