How can I fix a sticky potemtiometer?

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
There have been a few threads describing the issue here, but never a good "solution". Many of the pots I'm getting in the mail these days are a little tough to turn and seem coated in a sticky residue. IMO, a pot should turn freely without much effort. So, I'm asking you all here, and this may open a debate or not, what would be the best way to clean a new potentiometer to get rid of the stickiness?

The old engineer's adage "if it doesn't move and it should, use WD40". I've opened up a few pots and cleaned it with a small burst of WD40 and spun it a few dozen times and it makes a HUGE difference. There's some debate on other forums whether or not WD40 is a good long term solution. I guess my follow up question is should I use regular WD40 or do I specifically need contact cleaner to preserve the resistive surface inside?

I have never used it but I have heard deoxit works well for this situation.

I’m not sure what formula it is though they have several different kinds…

True contact cleaner doesn't have any lubricant.

The silicone stuff I have came from the repair shop where I used to work, it was ordered by accident and they gave it all to me.

We were working with 30,000V (CRT) circuits and you really don't want any residue left behind with that sort of voltage... you could see it trailing around the board like lightning.

I should still have a can of the stuff somewhere, if I can find it I'll post a pic.

But will contact cleaner get rid of the "sticky" and allow pots to spin freely? My cheap ass doesn't want to spend the $15 on it if WD40 will work just as well.

CDFCF650-3882-41BE-9CCB-0CE0CA2412D0.jpeg

A “real” solvent type contact cleaner is good for scratchy sounding pots and ones that feel like they’ve got a little too much grease in em.

Not sure if there’s any magic in the expensive deoxit ones, but I’ve had good luck with the cheap stuff.

The Deoxit D5 is what you want. It does have a little magic something to do with removing oxidation that the others don't. It does have a little lubricant. The different versions of he D series are based around quick/fast dry and the straw applicator. I like the LMH slow dry myself. It's worth every cent.

Here is the D Series description pdf from the Caig site.

Last edited:
But will contact cleaner get rid of the "sticky" and allow pots to spin freely? My cheap ass doesn't want to spend the $15 on it if WD40 will work just as well.
Nope, assuming they're new pots the sticky feel is considered a premium feature and some of us pay extra for it when ordering custom pots. It's damping compound on the shaft, not the resistive track. Removing it by chemical flushing often tends to leave residue on the track and ruin the pot. The real fix is to buy low rotational torque pots, IMO and IME.

Nope, assuming they're new pots the sticky feel is considered a premium feature and some of us pay extra for it when ordering custom pots. It's damping compound on the shaft, not the resistive track. Removing it by chemical flushing often tends to leave residue on the track and ruin the pot. The real fix is to buy low rotational torque pots, IMO and IME.
I assume he's probably talking about regular alpha pots that are sometimes harder to turn. If that's the case then, yes, Deoxit does fix that. Makes them nice and quick.

I assume he's probably talking about regular alpha pots that are sometimes harder to turn. If that's the case then, yes, Deoxit does fix that. Makes them nice and quick.
Yea. I'm just talking about Alpha/Tayda/SBP level pots. Just our ordinary, run of the mill ones. Is it just me or have they gotten a bit tougher to turn over the past year or two?

For a while maybe... ;)
Hmm, I think we are maybe talking about two different things here. I have not had any return to being gummy. I do have some of the real US Alphas that are not quick turn but that's a different feel to the cheap gummy ones like from Tayda.

So, in your opinion, there's no real fix for the "cheap" pots?
Replacement is the best fix, hands down. I like low torque pots for a lot of situations a lot myself BTW. But as I said, a stiffer feel is often considered premium and is what many people prefer. The SBP pots feel really good to me compared to many other cheapies, FWIW.

Hmm, I think we are maybe talking about two different things here. I have not had any return to being gummy. I do have some of the real US Alphas that are not quick turn but that's a different feel to the cheap gummy ones like from Tayda.
I was referring to ruining the resistive track. I just avoid Tayda as much as possible, frankly. Especially since the shipping rate hikes.

Back