DEMO How I Painted This: One of a kind Destiny Behemoth

This post contains an audio or video demo
DAN!!! You knocked this one right out of the tank!

tumblr_nr2d0cyihJ1tpri36o1_400.gif

I'm with Gordo, ie it's the immense amount of thought behind all that hard work that really does it for me.

You don't get such a stellar result by just half-assing the initial thinker-tinker time.

Can't wait to see the completed pedal, @benny_profane !

DAN!!! You knocked this one right out of the tank!

I'm with Gordo, ie it's the immense amount of thought behind all that hard work that really does it for me.

You don't get such a stellar result by just half-assing the initial thinker-tinker time.

Can't wait to see the completed pedal, @benny_profane !
Anyone who has asked for me to paint something knows that the response is "absolutely, as long as you will have patience". The amount of thought I put in to each painting keeps growing and growing with each one because I never really want to repeat myself. I also want the artwork to be something truly unique and something that is kept and not immediately tossed on reverb.

Poor @Pauleo1214 has been waiting months for a pedal and even after we came up with the concept it has still taken me months to finish because I have to learn how to do what it is I am envisioning. All of this for something that is going to be stepped on with urine soaked flip flops. This coming year is dedicated to finishing up what requests are already in the works and I would like to start getting something out to the wonderful PCB suppliers that drain my wallet, looking at you @bean @Robert @vigilante398

Also I want to give a huge thank you to all of you that have tuned in and watched this channel and take the time out of your lives to waste a bit of it with me. The channel has grown far beyond what I thought our little community was and has really taken off lately for a DIY pedal channel.

Love all of you weirdos, back to the lab, I got a Black Eye to paint

and here I thought it was 4 beers in you're just happy to get your pants down...

the cover paint can stall a project for me so I won't judge Dan...( besides he knows where I live and can be driven in about an hour w/o crapping your pants..) I await what the next looks like ;)

Here's the final build!

Thank you to @Chuck D. Bones, @cooder, and, of course, @jjjimi84 for making this project happen!

Dan was great to work with (and remarkably patient!) on this enclosure. It was a blast developing this idea with him, and I could not be happier with the result! He wasn't kidding when he said he put an entire can of clear on this guy. It looks like it just got out of the water. If you're sending him an enclosure, account for the paint and overdrill a bit (or you'll have to ream everything out...). I wanted to let Dan's work shine, so I went with knobs that complimented the gradient.

I modified the PUNCH control capacitors per the build doc to shift the frequency away from the MIDS control. I also followed @Chuck D. Bones's advice about JFET selection for the amp sim circuit. But not until I'd already boxed everything up first. I took a gamble that the 2nd stage would be biased okay without testing, and I lost that gamble. I couldn't coax a clean sound from it even with single coils unless I rolled back the volume on the guitar. So, back to the bench to remove the two JFETs and actually do some measuring. First device came out no problem; second got obliterated while desoldering. Set up my test rig and pulled a few JFETs for testing. I decided to try to lower the gain a bit and went with mmbf5457s. Measured and assigned the devices, turned to grab the board, and—one of the JFETs had vanished, never to be seen again. Tested another, assigned its spot, and carefully got the bench in order to install them.

The only real modification here is the addition of a 3PDT switch to mute the auxiliary input (also detailed in the build doc). I wanted to add this to be able to toggle a backing track or metronome hands-free. A red/green common-anode LED lights up when the circuit is powered; it shines red for aux muted and green for aux live.

destiny behemoth - circuit.jpeg

destiny behemoth - circuit (angle left).jpeg

destiny behemoth - top.jpeg

destiny behemoth - top (angle left).jpeg

How does it sound?
Sounds great! It’s a great combination of circuits. I’ve had other headphone combo builds, and this one is leagues ahead.

I’m still dialing in the reverb trims to best accommodate my usual guitars. I may just keep the hi and lo decays at the midpoint though.

Thanks again for all of your work here! Hopefully we start seeing more DB builds.

Back