KLONdike Gold

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
This is the VFE Merman, a hot-rodded Klon Centaur. It is designed for true bypass only, no buffered bypass. Peter Rutter really outdid himself this time. LEVEL & TREBLE do the usual thing. The GAIN pot, normally a dual, is separated into DRIVE, the dirty channel, and WARM, the clean channel. Splitting the control allows them to be mixed in any proportion, including both full up. The BOTTOM control is the bass clean bleed. The COMP control is in series with the clipping diodes, allowing their effect to be softened. This little box is capable of doing eveything the Centaur does, plus it can sound like any of the derivatives including the Kliche Clean, Lenny, etc. Believe it or not, I could not find anything that I wanted to change in this pedal. I currently have D9E diodes installed.

I have it on good authority that PedalPCB will release a version of this board in the near future.

Merman front panel bare 02.jpg

KLONdike Gold front 02.jpg

KLONdike Gold innards 02.jpg

Last edited:
This is the VFE Merman, a hot-rodded Klon Centaur. It is designed for true bypass only, no buffered bypass. Peter Rutter really outdid himself this time. LEVEL & TREBLE do the usual thing. The GAIN pot, normally a dual, is separated into DRIVE, the dirty channel, and WARM, the clean channel. Splitting the control allows them to be mixed in any proportion, including both full up. The BOTTOM control is the bass clean bleed. The COMP control is in series with the clipping diodes, allowing their effect to be softened. This little box is capable of doing eveything the Centaur does, plus it can sound like any of the derivatives including the Kliche Clean, Lenny, etc. Believe it or not, I could not find anything that I wanted to change in this pedal. I currently have D9E diodes installed.

I have it on good authority that PedalPCB will release a version of this board in the near future.

View attachment 3519

View attachment 3518

View attachment 3520
Was there any Bait on that Hook?

Update : This is what I use in all my Klon Builds:
NOS SYLVANIA 1N34a.jpg

Last edited:
I never build all my madbeans vfe board :/ I should really make a nice mouser cart full of what I need ....

Very nice Chuck. That paint looks like faux pearl/mother-of-bowling ball. I love it!

Agreed too. I use the pedal a lot to torture the front end of my live rig.

I think you will like it. Klons are low-gain overdrives. Think "dirty boost." They don't make much distortion on their own. Like Gordo said, it's best for overdriving the front-end of a tube amp.

Back
Top Bottom