Low Tide Modulator Mockup Pedal - Arriving Soon!

I've built the pedal, and it sounds great, but I am getting a faint high-pitched sound when I turn the pedal on. The sound is affected by the gate trimpot. When I turn the trimpot down a bit, the sound will jump to a lower frequency and then I won't get any signal from my guitar. I assume the problem has to be something to do with the LPG part of the circuit or something after it. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? Also, does anyone know where I can find the schematic for this circuit?

Yep, that's the CLR. It's in series with the 2K2 directly below it (part of an anti-pop arrangement), so you might want to factor that in as well.

(Maybe try a 12K or 13K instead of the usual 15K)
Great, thanks for the explanation, it’s appreciated.

I’ll try a 12-13K resistor and see how I go. Waiting on a few parts (like a few other people here, I assume) before I can fully test it.

Finally I finished it!
It's fun to play despite being a very strange effect but at the same time very inspiring, I would never have spent 400 dollars for the fairfield one honestly, thank you mr pedalpcb for letting me try this

B1M dual pot and LM358P works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpeg
    IMG_8313.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
One is a drain resistor for the output JFET stage, the other is the resistive element in a low pass filter leading into the BBD (16K / 1nF).

I've built the pedal, and it sounds great, but I am getting a faint high-pitched sound when I turn the pedal on. The sound is affected by the gate trimpot. When I turn the trimpot down a bit, the sound will jump to a lower frequency and then I won't get any signal from my guitar. I assume the problem has to be something to do with the LPG part of the circuit or something after it. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? Also, does anyone know where I can find the schematic for this circuit?
You may want to open a troubleshooting thread. The schematic has not yet been released.

for what I understand the gate trim is used to set the low tonal excursion of the GATE/LPG control, BIAS trim is used to set the right input of the V3207D BBD delay IC and therefore has the task of eliminating any distortions and noises

I have read the shallow water manual and it explains how to set the LPG/GATE trim, it says nothing about the bias trim, but I have read a discussion on another forum where Fairfield advised to set the biass to 5 o'clock and adjust little by little around there to get rid of noise as each pedal will be slightly different.

Last edited:
for what I understand the gate trim is used to set the low tonal excursion of the GATE/LPG control, BIAS trim is used to set the right input of the V3207D BBD delay IC and therefore has the task of eliminating any distortions and noises

I have read the shallow water manual and it explains how to set the LPG/GATE trim, it says nothing about the bias trim, but I have read a discussion on another forum where Fairfield advised to set the biass to 5 o'clock and adjust little by little around there to get rid of noise as each pedal will be slightly different.
the easiest way to adjust the bbd trimmer by ear is to turn up the output volume without an input signal playing. make small trimmer adjustments to minimize the noise.

I found on mine that playing it with mix set to full wet and then listening to the output while tweaking the trimmer got mine dialed in. Mine had a fairly large sweet spot and it got pretty obvious as I got to the edges that it wasn't right.

I agree though that it's a cool effect and I'm glad I built it, but had I been trying it out in a store I would have passed. Not that I disagree with the price, I can certainly see that there is some cool R&D involved here and it's not a cheap effect to build, but...

I just got back from working on my 5E3 at my friend's amp-atelier, and there were TWO (2) bubble-envelopes in the mailbox, so I got super-duper excited... and then was bummed. I've never been bummed getting PCBs before. These were some highly anticipated PCBs from a couple suppliers to the habit, and some transistors, but they weren't the Low Tide.

While I've been looking forward to the Low Tide's arrival, I didn't fully realise how much so until these other PCBs arrived.
Heck, one was a flanger! How can I not be excited about a flanger?

I just got an order of MN3207/MN3102 from a Chinese seller on ebay. I tested them all in my Caesar. Glad I put sockets in,. Only half of them worked as they should while half seemed to just be putting a dry signal through, but for 8 dollars, I count getting even a few that work to be a win with the V3207D shortage happening at the moment.

Reactions: fig
I just got an order of MN3207/MN3102 from a Chinese seller on ebay. I tested them all in my Caesar. Glad I put sockets in,. Only half of them worked as they should while half seemed to just be putting a dry signal through, but for 8 dollars, I count getting even a few that work to be a win with the V3207D shortage happening at the moment.
You should count that as a win in the Scarce Part Roulette game, especially since you can cull the bad chips before trying to use them in a project.

flanger is always super exciting, what model?
Madbean's Current Lover.
Ordered it in a fit after crazily swooning over my friend's Electric Mistress that I've been working on repairing.

With the order was a "Ltd Ed" Stage Fright (Maestro Phaser) and a Kraken (Mutron V).
The Stage Fright requires 3 x 13700 chips! I'll have to use 13600 ICs as I've already set aside my last 13700 for the Low Tide.

PS: Yes, Flanger is super exciting now that I've gotten over the initial let-down and hanging around.

Last edited:
I finally found the dual log pot, do you think it is worth replacing the linear one i soldered with this?

I finally found the dual log pot, do you think it is worth replacing the linear one i soldered with this?
Are you dissatisfied with the linear pot in the build? It's a dual pot and will be difficult to remove (if PCB mounted). You'd have to be pretty committed to changing it.

Are you dissatisfied with the linear pot in the build? It's a dual pot and will be difficult to remove (if PCB mounted). You'd have to be pretty committed to changing it.
ehehe you got the point it is complicated to unsolder, but I have the impression that the linear pot is usable only in a few points, but I don't know if this is a characteristic of the pedal or a "problem" of this pot.

Back