Missing Build Docs / Schematics

...There are both through-hole and SMD options for the JFETs. The 'empty rectangles' with the label right next to them are for the SMD part. Only one should be populated. This makes the project more viable for more people since (real) through-hole JFETs are harder to come by.

Also, as @PedalPCB said, it's quite rare that the silkscreen for those pads is missing.
OK. Thank you for providing that missing information.

I see that it is true. I did not know, as you many "clubhouse" members do, that it also means, possibly with errors, omissions and missing or too-sparse information. Now I know much better what the scene is here.
I'm not sure what you mean. When projects get introduced, there is a dedicated store page for the board. On that page, there is a field at the bottom that either links to the build documents or indicates that the build documents are forthcoming. If you purchase a board that doesn't have build documents, you can either wait for build documents to be posted, or you can work from the values indicated on the board.

As mentioned above, boards are sold before documents are available for those who are eager to make a project and are fine with being early adopters. Personally, I usually wait until documents are available because I like to reference a schematic while I build and make adjustments or modifications. There are hundreds of projects listed with comprehensive build documentation. Those without are a very small fraction of the total.

Projects are listed/sold in good faith. If there ever is an issue, @PedalPCB goes above and beyond to make it right. Additionally, there is a wealth of knowledge and support offered in the forum.

I can tell that you are less than satisfied with your experience—and that is unfortunate. Some of the issues that you're bringing up (e.g., the 'A' and 'K' pad labels for the LED, '+' and '-' for the DC input, SMD transistor footprints) are not specific to boards offered here and are rather standard. Regardless, many people have offered quick responses to your concerns and have attempted to offer help. I'm not sure what you're looking for with a response, but I wish you the best of luck in your projects.

I see that it is true. I did not know, as you many "clubhouse" members do, that it also means, possibly with errors, omissions and missing or too-sparse information. Now I know much better what the scene is here.
No one is making you be a part of this “scene”. This discussion is all because in/out were not labelled on your PCB. You did the sensible thing and ask here for help for which the “clubhouse members” of this scene offered assistance. I am sensing a level of dissatisfaction from you which is coming out as passive aggression. I may be mistaken as it is easy to be through typed word.

I genuinely do hope you wish to be part of this scene. It’s a great place with huge amount of support, so hopefully you can look past the lack of in/out labels.

With Mr PedalPCB bring a one man band and in combination with the sheer number of traces he has completed, there has to be some level of efficiency in the process. If there is no build doc available you could ask in the forum when it will be available or just wait until it’s up.

I suppose you do have me dead to rights on the passive aggressive thing. I give you that. I was indignant that my difficulties were being explained away as just being too new here.

In my defense, I originally was puzzled that the board was illustrated with only part references (R12, C15, etc) but no BOM and no Build doc. The explanation was that the board will actually have values printed, which would minimize the need for docs.

When it arrived, it still had undefined pads which is where I jumped in. In the absence of any doc, that's kind of difficult to work with. When the "you're just supposed to know" started coming up, that's when my blood pressure started coming up. I sometimes do have a short fuse and can be impatient. I apologize for that.

Most of us prefer to have new boards made available even when the build documents will only be published later. And some folks wait for a build doc, but won't necessarily wait if the document is initially published without the schematic since those seem to take a bit more time. Folks ordering from the existing inventory of boards are more likely to get a complete build document.

Overall, this site tends to provide much less information in the build docs than other sites, but people in the forums are very supportive. The large variety of boards -- some unique to this site -- also draw in customers with wide ranges of build experience, from seasoned builders, kit builders, or first-time builders. Some of those people will struggle even with good build docs, but requests for assistance in the forums are answered.

As noted above, the newly released boards also may be missing useful information but ask a question and you will likely get one or more answers.

I suppose you do have me dead to rights on the passive aggressive thing. I give you that. I was indignant that my difficulties were being explained away as just being too new here.

In my defense, I originally was puzzled that the board was illustrated with only part references (R12, C15, etc) but no BOM and no Build doc. The explanation was that the board will actually have values printed, which would minimize the need for docs.

When it arrived, it still had undefined pads which is where I jumped in. In the absence of any doc, that's kind of difficult to work with. When the "you're just supposed to know" started coming up, that's when my blood pressure started coming up. I sometimes do have a short fuse and can be impatient. I apologize for that.
Hey it’s all good. I can appreciate its fairly stressful to spend quite a bit of money on a PCB and not have a build doc to go on. That’s the great thing about this forum. There is always someone to help. Good luck with the build.

In my opinion, It would be helpful (for the builders) to have jfet biasing information included in a build documents. I know it's related to the parameters of the transistors but it's better than nothing. Drain voltage measurement taken from the traced circuit would be a good starting point.
In some cases it would be also good to know value of the Vcc/Vdd/Vee voltages, especially when charge pump is present in the circuit.

As an example - End All Red Overdrive. The build doc calls for electrolytic caps rated for 25V minimum. So the Vcc/Vdd/Vee voltages should not exceed 24V. But is it more or less the same as in the RG100 preamp - 24V? Or maybe 22V or 18V? This information could be handy when troubleshooting power supply section issues.

Good day,

I found out that most of the new released PCB already has a Build doc with schematics.

but some quite old released PCBs still doesn't have schematics in build docs, like Unchained OD, XB-MB, Pro-10 Blue, & Pro-10 Green.

Are they just forgotten or there are other reasons?

I think the King Hand OD and Lone King OD's schematics will not be uploaded?

I did not know, as you many "clubhouse" members do, that it also means, possibly with errors, omissions and missing or too-sparse information. Now I know much better what the scene is here.

It shouldn't suggest "errors", although I have been known to make mistakes from time to time, and I can almost assure you they won't be my last.

With that said, if the build docs are available for a project they'll be listed on the product page under the Documentation heading. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hesitating to order/build a project until the documentation is available for download.

Some folks feel confident enough to tackle the builds before the documentation is posted, some don't even bother with the docs when they are available... but others would prefer the info before starting on a build.

If you see "Build docs coming soon..." in that section it's a good indication that you might want to hold off on that project if you are in the latter group.

1629577977788.png

I think the King Hand OD and Lone King OD's schematics will not be uploaded?

They will all eventually be uploaded. No schematics are intentionally withheld... some require more attention than others to be presentable, some of the docs were posted in a hurry and haven't been revisited.

Okay, there is about to be an influx of new projects...... but I want to tie up any loose ends first.

Is anyone waiting on any missing build docs / schematics? (Not including the most recent releases, those are already on my list)
Hey Bugg,
Would you have an eta on the Acetylene build doc?

Not "missing" per se but I'm wondering about the Superbolt/Super '64 - has the PCB been updated for SMD J201's? The graphic and build doc still just show through-hole, so I figured I ought to check.

has the Mofeta schematic been posted on any thread yet?... my computer has been down for almost two months, so wondering if i missed something... & i would really like to breadboard it before i build it... thanks in anticipation...

Building the Dream Fuzz today. The parts lists only lists one 150n cap. Not a huge deal, I suppose, since the pcb and the BOM are good…

The only difference is the Clip toggle switch was changed to a Taiway Type-2, nothing else has changed.

The original version build doc is here:

The affected PCBs are marked "Type 2" in the switch footprint. If the toggle switch on your PCB isn't marked "Type 2" then you need a Type 1 toggle switch. Tayda lists their DPDT ON/ON/ON as Type 2 but that is incorrect. Type 2 ON/ON/ON DPDTs should be sourced from LoveMySwitches or Smallbear. (Taiway brand)

Eventually the spacing of the switches will be modified slightly so it's not such a tight fit, but this hasn't happened yet.

Back