PedalPCB Terrarium - Compact Daisy Development Platform

Just purchased a Daisy Seed. I'm so excited for this but I just don't know where to start!

Per the product description, 4 programming methods are available:
  1. C++
  2. Arduino
  3. Max/MSP Gen~
  4. Pure Data(export using Heavy)
Mr. PCB, which method are you using?

I'm using C++. The majority of the libraries (libDaisy and DaisySP) are written in C++, so it just seemed like the most obvious choice.
I also have a bit more previous experience with C++ than Arduino, so I feel right at home with it.

I don't see the advantage of using Arduino, the language is similar enough that it's not really any easier to work with. I think there is still some functionality that hasn't been fully implemented in the Arduino version of the library.

I've read that there may be performance issues using Max/MSP and Pure Data.

BTW the first prototype PCBs arrived today, so hopefully I'll get to build one up tomorrow and see what we have. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. I'm wondering if it's worth digging into CMSIS-DSP docs or if its incorporation in libDaisy and abstraction via DaisySP are going to address most everybody's needs.

Really excited to mess with this from what I've seen far.

Never owned one but I think on the dual-effects it does effect order, series parallel. Something like: A->B | A+B | A<-B.

It selects between your presets. The effects order toggle is the one directly above it.

This is really super exciting and at the same time I'm a super noob when it comes to this... what are good ways into understanding this and getting the hang of C++ and that sorta stuff? And once this will be off the ground, will there be shared libarries for effects avaiable? Would we be able to write and modify our own stuff? That would motivate me to tackle a learning curve...

A basic C++ tutorial would be a good place to start.. Just the basics, program structure, variables, functions, if/elseif, for and while loops, etc.

I would like to put together some community driven projects once we get going.
That will be great! Thanks for your hard work!

Any idea if there is some way to allow IR loading into a Daisy?

Plenty of memory, I think.
Otherwise, this'd be determined by there being sufficient CPU to run the convolution algorithm, given the size of the impulse response.
So, maybe "yes" with caveats. I'd be curious to know what's possible on this front as well.

Last edited:
You kids are talking way over this old dogs head!

Half the stuff in this thread goes over my head, but in regards to IR, I’d like to build an impulse response loader. This would allow me to apply my own cabinet impulses to amp-in-a-box circuits and have it sounds like a full rig. Right now I’m experimenting with the Unicab circuit for that purpose but I’d love something more flexible.

Pots are 100k linear? Switches are On/On toggles? TL072 dual opamp for input & output buffer? Daisy seed runs at 9v?

I think the daisy runs at 5 volts, since it can be powered from a mini-USB plug. I guess the terrarium board will take a standard 9 volt input and have a 5-volt converter for the daisy.

The Daisy module is powered by 9V, but has onboard regulators for the various ICs.

I'm using 10K linear pots at the moment because that's what the "Petal" used. 100K could be a better option since it would put less idle load on the 3.3V supply, but I just wasn't feeling very experimental yet.

Yep, TL072 for the buffers.

I just finished up the Terrarium prototype, all is working good so these will likely start becoming available in the next restock.

I just finished up the Terrarium prototype, all is working good so these will likely start becoming available in the next restock.

Fantastic news. Any chance that you'll be releasing the drill template ahead of time?

Oh sure, new DSP as I just ordered my first FV1 development board :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that even with Seeds modules being sold at almost twice the price of FV-1 (30$ instead of 18$) the capacity of this thing is going to make FV-1 and it's assembly language an oddity on the long run.

I'm not helping... Sorry ;)

And since the Seeds is "flashable" from USB, it will means that a generic PedalPCB Terrarium will almost turns out to be a poor's man Daisy development board itself. Until you miss more knobs or EXP jack...

Am I right @PedalPCB ?

And since the Seeds is "flashable" from USB, it will means that a generic PedalPCB Terrarium will almost turns out to be a poor's man Daisy development board itself. Until you miss more knobs or EXP jack...

The problem is (from what I understand) that you have to press the two buttons on the Daisy seed to flash it. What PedalPCB will give us is a convenient way to run code without spending $310 on the Daisy Petal.

Terrarium will offer more a possibility to test patches than a development platform in itself. Still 1000 times easier than flashing EEPROM and coding in pseudo-assembly.

;)

I'm pretty sure we can expect 3-4 different Daisy PCBs from here and one of them being a development board (but I could be wrong).

That's correct. The Terraria can be used while designing algorithms but it's not the most convenient physically because of the internal placement of the Seed module. It's more of a nice little shell to test/run your algorithms in a real-world pedal environment.

I'm starting on a larger desktop "console" version that will be better suited to actual "get yours hands dirty" algorithm development... including a built-in headphone amplifier. (Because I'm sick and tired of having to fire up my DAW and hook everything up to my interface every time I want to build something)

Back