PPCB Dumble Pedals

DeadAirMD

So I have a Zendrive and have build the Scenario, which I absolutely adore. Also a bit confused as to the link for the Scenario circuit topology, is it Dumble or Timmy? I've built waaay too many OD pedals and have found that with my amp and guitars, Dumble style circuits seem to work the best with style and setup.

Just looking for a quick list of Dumble style pedals PPCB offers to narrow down my list of stuff to pick up tomorrow.

Any personal favorites to check out?

Is there anything similar I'm vein to the Scenario?

Last edited:
Crystal Lettuce
Counterweight
MDMA (Wampler Euphoria)
Symbolic (Mad Professor Simble)
I know the Euphoria, Zendrive and Simble. I prefer the Simble. The Zendrive is very similar. The Euphoria is nice, too, the Bass knob is helpful.

I believe the BUSS/Stagecoach is switchable between Marshall/Dumble tones.

Really, really like that one (but haven't built any other Dumblesques besides the Aion take on the Zendrive).

They are all pretty much based from the same dual op amp circuit. Timmy / Zendrive derivatives. These have been designated 'Dumble sounding' pedals, mainly because Robben Ford once made claims that his Zendrive got close enough for gigs which he could not take his Dumble Overdrive Special (serial 002).

IMHO, this circuit is a great edge of breakup / just past breakup sound, which is where Ford plays. It is not the sound of the ODS pushed hard, which is a more Tweed like sound. I have not heard any pedal replicate all the nuances of a Dumble (I've played two and built a few amps in that vein).

I start with the Wampler Euphoria and do some significant tweaks. It may sound counter intuitive, but the LM1458 dual op am it employes is 'smeary' and does a good job replicating that 'chewy but clear' tone. I use two SPST switches for the soft clipping = hard clipping - no clipping options and tune the clipping diodes to the LM1458 breakup, to achieve the touch sensitivity bloom. I also use a B250K gain pot instead of the 1M.

Getting into diy pedal building 2 years ago has been the best thing to happen to my tone discovery. Being able to tweak every circuit to fit my style and tone has been beyond thrilling. Has made it so much easier to test for myself whether I like soft/hard clipping, symmetrical/asymmetrical, etc.

The over 20+ ODs I've built have led me to find that soft clipping, low-medium gain OD work best with my style of play, amps, and guitars.

@Passinwind I've definitely seen that pedal here MANY times, definitely love to artwork.

I picked up quite a bit of stuff, finally actually got lucky and a sale popped up instead of what has happened the last 4 times, buy and then the next day is a sale.

Kudzu
Tater Tot
Super Stevie
Bastion
Sliver
Bullrush
Counter Weight

Built the Fingers OD over the weekend.........OMG just WOW! Where was this pedal the last 2 years?!?!

Why not consolidate the posts' suggestions into one master Dumble list?

So far we've got:
  • Abider OD (J.Rockett The Dude)
  • Counterweight (Gaspedals Dumbbell)
  • Crystal Lettuce (British Pedal Co Dumble Silverface OD Special)
  • Crystal Lettuce Black Edition (British Pedal Co Dumble Blackface OD Special)
  • Mahayana (Hermida Zendrive)
  • MDMA (Wampler Euphoria)
  • Phoenix Ultra Drive (Vertex Ultraphonix)
  • ROG Umble
  • Samadhi Drive (StudioDaydream Dhyana)
  • Six String Singer (Vertex Steel String Clean Drive)
  • Special OD (Shin’s Music Dumbloid)
  • Stagecoach (Barber BUSS [fww Edition])
  • Symbolic (Mad Professor Simble)

That's a lot of Dumble-jumble!

But wait! There's more...

...postulation.

This thread —
— suggests that the Comprehensive Drive (Free the Tone String Slinger), Nobleman (Nobels ODR-1), Red Herring (Menatone Redsnapper), and Tater Tot (Barber Electronics Small fry) all can dial in a Dumbleish sound as well.

Back