Rig Run Down Clapton

Matmosphere

I certainly don’t want to argue either and I don’t think anyone on this forum would actually argue with each other about anything. That’s what makes this place special.

And you are 100% right concerning your anecdote about your friend. I had a mirror image of your situation. He was my friend but deep down he was an asshole, booze/drugs or not.

Conversely, I’ve known the opposite as well, i.e. people who really were railroaded and severely influenced by the booze/drugs who turned their lives around without it. These people were not, deep down, Mr. Hyde come forth, but rather just in a bad way.

I’m no fanboy as to Clapton’s personality though. I love some of his music very dearly and you always hope your heroes are nice people. If he truly isn’t it doesn’t matter to me anyway. I’d still like the music.

What matters more to me is not being at odds with any forum members here over something silly!

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to have this be a big thing. Lots of great artist are flawed people. It is interesting to see how, in the age of the internet, those flaws make the art harder to separate from the person.

Big Monk

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to have this be a big thing. Lots of great artist are flawed people. It is interesting to see how, in the age of the internet, those flaws make the art harder to separate from the person.

Many people in general are flawed people! No celebrity required!

Big Monk

Can we talk about how disappointed I am with Rig Rundowns where the rigs are simple?

I’m not gonna lie I like:

a.) When the artist is there and;

b.) When they have tons of cool gear.

thewintersoldier

This is what I know, regardless of a person's art and how we feel about it the fact remains that some people like Page, Lennon and even Clapton are less than exceptional humans and don't deserve a pass because of their art. Drugs, alcohol and anything else is just an excuse. I wish him and all the other small minded dinosaurs would just do us all a favor a drop of the face of the earth.

JamieJ

I do love a crazy set up on rig rundown! Do you think John Bohlinger gets tired of asking the exact same questions to every artist? haha

Barry

Some well made points, but I'll just add that it is possible for people to change, my grandfather grew up in the deep south and was a card carrying racist, but he found peace and repented in his later years and was the kindest and most caring man to all people

Mentaltossflycoon

This is what I know, regardless of a person's art and how we feel about it the fact remains that some people like Page, Lennon and even Clapton are less than exceptional humans and don't deserve a pass because of their art. Drugs, alcohol and anything else is just an excuse. I wish him and all the other small minded dinosaurs would just do us all a favor a drop of the face of the earth.

I'm with this, it's not that you can't love the art separately from the rejection of the artist. I'm going to listen to Cream because I've only lost all respect for 1/3 of the band.

I did get rid of my Michael Jackson records. Can't uncreep Thriller or Off the Wall anymore. The Lennon thing is pretty upsetting too. Dude was a giant hypocrite. The lyrics to Run for Your Life seem to hit my ear differently now that I know he was violent toward women.

While I think telling celebrities to "shut up and sing/play football" is horseshit, I think telling Eric to shut up and play his guitar would actually be friendly advice.

You're free to shit in your pants if you want, I just won't be sitting next to you or listening to you debate how much better life would be if I shit in mine.

peccary

Some well made points, but I'll just add that it is possible for people to change, my grandfather grew up in the deep south and was a card carrying racist, but he found peace and repented in his later years and was the kindest and most caring man to all people
People are a trip. My grandpa is white and was born in Alabama in the late 20's. His family basically disowned him in the early 50's for marrying my Grandma who is Mexican. He somehow still managed to be pretty racist against Hispanics and blacks, which always blew me away. He also wouldn't let my grandma teach my dad and uncles Spanish, which is a bummer because I might speak Spanish today had that not been a thing.

Big Monk

This is kind of what I was getting at.

People of all persuasions say, and do, messed up stuff sometimes in their lives. Some continue to do so and some become better people, especially where drugs and alcohol were a big contributor.

I’m not trying to be a defense attorney for the Case Against Eric Clapton, but I’m just curious what events besides that terrible rant people are holding against him.

I’m aware I may be ignorant to a whole plethora of other douchebaggery from him, but I’ve never heard anything bad about the guy. Even this rant was new to me. So it could be naïveté in the extreme on my part.

I’m just very for the idea of redemption. Without a path of redemption, of some sort, for people who do messed up stuff (keep in mind I’m not talking about murderers, rapists, molesters, etc. but rather things done in bad taste or against social norms and general etiquette) we leave otherwise changed people constantly bogged down in the muck and mire of a person they no longer are.

Mentaltossflycoon

People are a trip. My grandpa is white and was born in Alabama in the late 20's. His family basically disowned him in the early 50's for marrying my Grandma who is Mexican. He somehow still managed to be pretty racist against Hispanics and blacks, which always blew me away. He also wouldn't let my grandma teach my dad and uncles Spanish, which is a bummer because I might speak Spanish today had that not been a thing.

That generation is a trip. Both of my grandfathers were white, passionate supporters of equality, civil rights, accepting of the lgbtq community. And still I remember one using the term chinaman a lot and I can recall both using the unacceptable name for brazil nuts.

Feral Feline

I do love a crazy set up on rig rundown! Do you think John Bohlinger gets tired of asking the exact same questions to every artist? haha
Most of the PG interviewers get lost in the fan-boy/girl or "bro-manship hang" aspect and fail as credible interviewers.

Rebecca Dirks was consistently professional, thorough and she never tired of asking all the questions; and she rarely (if ever) missed the details that the other PG interviewers routinely forget about — many who even go so far at times as omitting the requisite flog of PG's own branding and other rundowns.

One of the worst rig-rundowns was for Devo, don't remember who did it, but the interviewer knew nothing of Devo and failed to do any homework on the band before interviewing them — it was blatantly apparent to viewers (even non-Devo fans) and the Devo members.

Shawn Hammond is credible, has a background in journalism, but probably doesn't have the time to do many rig-rundowns though he should do more; Chris Kies fares well, again a background in journalism coming into play...

I like Bohlinger's interviews in general, but he could learn a few things from watching Rebecca Dirks' work — I'd enjoy his interviews a lot more if he did; the other unmentioned interviewers could all learn something from Dirks, too, but I'd rather they just leave the interviewing to the professional journos. Stopping here lest I say something too unkind about a specific PG staffer.