To Have One's Ducks in a Row

That would probably be a very good idea for me it'd save me digging through my (what seems like), thousands of little bags only to then bury it under the pile to start digging again the next time i need that particular value

?Stoked. I subscribed to your YouTube channel by the way. Good stuff!

Thank you so much! Every two weeks there will be a new video and once my son goes back to school full time it will increase to one a week. Same low quality production and playing just more of it.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this fuzz, it has been one of like five pedals where my wife said “that sounds nice”.

I stick parts onto a strip of insulating foam above a tape strip where I write down part # and value. I then use the DMM to check the resistor values before installing & soldering on the pcb. I usually just check the label on the caps to make sure the value is right before installing them. This way the little parts containers and bags are out of the way except for the parts I need that are laid out. Probably not a good system for anyone in a hurry, but it has saved me troubleshooting time later. Also not odd for me to have some interruptions during the soldering process, and this setup makes it pretty easy to pick up where I left off when that happens.

I dunno that kind of makes the paper an unnecessary middle man of sorts. If I’m bothering to grab a component it’s going on the board :LOL:

I could see myself doing that if I was mailing a kit to a buddy though!

I did exactly this when giving a buddy some parts.

This is what I always do before every build too! It's so handy to have all my components ready.

I also do it for future builds... I file the sheet away in a drawer. It's nice because if there's a missing component I'll know before I try to build it, and I can add it my next component-order list.

Any method to building the Fuchsia Fuzz is a good method, it is a great fuzz.

Right on!

I'm at least as A-R. I build a BOM in Excel, make note about sources and parts subs, shading the cells different colors as I order, procure, kit and install parts. Parts usually go straight from the bin to the board. Some parts, usually the ones that don't go on the board, get kitted in an ESD bag. For all my trouble, I started building the VFE Mobius Strip only to realize that I did not in fact have any 9mm B50K pots. :mad:

Right on!

I'm at least as A-R. I build a BOM in Excel, make note about sources and parts subs, shading the cells different colors as I order, procure, kit and install parts. Parts usually go straight from the bin to the board. Some parts, usually the ones that don't go on the board, get kitted in an ESD bag. For all my trouble, I started building the VFE Mobius Strip only to realize that I did not in fact have any 9mm B50K pots. :mad:
I really like the Mobius Strip. The dual PT2399s work very together, especially when the repeats are switched to feed into each other.

Right on!

That mobius strip is legit, you are going to love it.

I build on a long table and all my parts bins are in front of me, so I pull the bin secure all of that value to board and once all parts in a given category are on the board I solder them up, and move to the next tallest elements, so resistors first and electrolytics last

I started building the VFE Mobius Strip only to realize that I did not in fact have any 9mm B50K pots. :mad:
This has got to be a record: ordered parts from Tayda 9/27 3:35pm. Shipped from Bangkok the next day, received in Los Angeles 9/30 6:11pm.
Here's a tip: if you wipe down a plastic DHL envelop with alcohol, the red & yellow ink dissolves and gets everywhere. :oops:

In my experience, paying a few dollars more for DHL shipping speeds up the delivery a lot. If I have a few enclosures in the order, the difference in shipping between the US Postal Service and DHL is much smaller.

I think hand sanitizer will also liberate the dye on the DHL envelopes. I usually cut open the DHL envelope, remove the shipping bag inside it, put the DHL envelope in the trash and then go wash my hands.

Back