SOLVED Tone Vendor MKII Enigma...

Coda

Just completed the Tone Vendor MKII build. I plugged it all in, and got nothing. Bypass tone was fine, LED was on, but no fuzz...just a very high-pitched whistle...like something a dog could hear. After about 2 hours of checking and re-checking everything, I finally got sound. However, it sounds like the fuzz is on 5...even though the fuzz control is maxed.

It seems that after poking around (I literally was just pressing my finger against the board...especially around where the fuzz control/output ground/9v hooks up), it just came on. Is this a bad connection? What would make the fuzz control useless, while delivering a half-assed fuzz? Should I just chuck this build in the ocean and start over?

Last edited:
C7 is indeed backward. I can't verify the value of R1. I'm assuming that C2 is 100nF.

There are a lot of stray wires with the circuit I/O pads. If you have a reliable way to do so, I would suggest removing and resoldering them properly. Otherwise, try to clean them up as best as you can. The initial picture of the solder-side had leads that were left way too long. Try to clean those up.

C7 is indeed backward. I can't verify the value of R1. I'm assuming that C2 is 100nF.

There are a lot of stray wires with the circuit I/O pads. If you have a reliable way to do so, I would suggest removing and resoldering them properly. Otherwise, try to clean them up as best as you can. The initial picture of the solder-side had leads that were left way too long. Try to clean those up.

R1 is 100K. C2 is 100n.

I cleaned up the board, and turned C7 around and am getting quite a bit of fuzz control now. It goes from a warm OD to a raw fuzz. I think we got it. Thanks to all. I'll probably do that Fuzz control upgrade at some point in the future.

My only complaint about this build is the position of the LED. I cant get it to stay without shorting out on the back of the board. Not a huge deal, really, but slightly annoying.

Other than that, the build is done.

Well done to you for spotting the cap that got away! Well got away from me anyway

Fuzz circuits are my nemesis I can get mega complex circuits firing up right away but fuzz particularly fuzz faces always give me problems

Glad yours is sorted

Back
Top Bottom