What's on the workbench?

That's a sick odometer you got there, @Robert. You rip that out of an old Buick?
Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-Trio.jpg

What's the current status on the Ethos Overdrive? I would love to build one, and I'm also curious how much the FSB thread that tried to trace one a few years ago got right. It appears to have a fairly unique (or at least non-standard) clipping circuit.

The breakaway module that was traced on FSB is the clipping section. It's somewhat similar to the TWE-1 / Derailer clipping arrangement.

I am curious as to why that portion of the PCB is breakaway and connected with wires, as if maybe there were plans for an alternate configuration or something like that.

I have two of the original pedals here, one stock, the other with all of the optional add-ons / modifications. I haven't gotten around to opening up the "hot rod" yet.

Took me ages to work out what was so uncanny valley about that photo of the whole board - the toggles have been expertly pasted over. Either that or it'll need some super weird switches ordering.

The board was too big for me to take a straight on photo (close enough to actually see all of the SMD components clearly without blurring at the edges) so what you're seeing is a quick and dirty composite of two photos.

I generally don't use the RefDes printed on a PCB when tracing so I take a photo and mark each component as I go.

The added benefit is that it's easy to see if any components have been missed in the trace.

Well, I found a few differences compared to the one I traced, but that's irrelevant because what you see on FSB is only a small part of the big picture.

This is what was traced.
View attachment 43226
Cool, thanks for the update (y)
The thread you refer to (and I also had in mind) indeed only looked at the gooped part, but an earlier thread already attempted to trace all but the gooped part (way back in 2013).
I've build and used a bunch of preamp pedals over the years, but the Ethos has always been high on my wish list, so I'm looking forward to seeing this beast turned into one of those gorgeous PedalPCB boards. :love:

Cool, thanks for the update (y)
The thread you refer to (and I also had in mind) indeed only looked at the gooped part, but an earlier thread already attempted to trace all but the gooped part (way back in 2013).
I've build and used a bunch of preamp pedals over the years, but the Ethos has always been high on my wish list, so I'm looking forward to seeing this beast turned into one of those gorgeous PedalPCB boards. :love:
I think the Ethos Clean II would be a better introduction to the larger Ethos Overdrive as a PCB???

I think the Ethos Clean II would be a better introduction to the larger Ethos Overdrive as a PCB???
True, but I haven't seen pictures of that one coming by here. Another option would be to split the Ethos up in two pedals: one for the clean channel, one for the drive channel. From what I remember of the FSB thread, there weren't too many differences between the channels, aside from the drive circuit. Although I personally would prefer a single pedal. It would probably fit nicely in the spot where I now have the Aion L5 preamp pedal ;)

Back