What's your favorite tremolo pedal circuit?

Harry Klippton

What's your favorite tremolo pedal that you've built? I have an Aion Luna on my board. Just curious what else is out there that I should check out

I haven’t built one (yet). But,… my favorite tremolo so far is the Pulsar by Electro-Harmonics probably. It does an alternating left to right stereo thing that I love.

Hard tie though with the Honeycomb by JHS. That one is like a two in one as it allows you to toggle between two speeds without making adjustments.

These days I've been enjoying the VFE Old School, as it has dynamic options to base the depth or speed on your picking, which is very nice once dialed in.

I have always liked the tremulus lune (PedalPCB trembling loon) circuit. But I highly recommend adding a footswitch with a cap in parallel to C??? to alter the speed on the fly (I.e. similar to the woodpecker speed switch)

I like the Pendulum, but I'm also not a big tremolo fan, so harmonic tremolo being kind of phaserish is a plus.

The only trem I have is the Madbean Wavelord and this thing has pretty much everything one could ever need including tap tempo and 16 different waveforms. Awesome pedal.

I have always liked the tremulus lune (PedalPCB trembling loon) circuit. But I highly recommend adding a footswitch with a cap in parallel to C??? to alter the speed on the fly (I.e. similar to the woodpecker speed switch)
I'm curious to learn more about this - about to build a Trembling Loon myself.

I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to tremolos. What makes a good tremolo, besides features? Doesn't it just modulate your volume without a particularly distinct sound, unlike say an overdrive? Are you looking for coloration (or not) from the circuit? I've always used a TR-2, and it's been good enough for me. I built the Moonshot and it sounds pretty much the same. Admittedly, this is not my effect of choice, but I'm curious to hear from the die-hards.

I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to tremolos. What makes a good tremolo, besides features? Doesn't it just modulate your volume without a particularly distinct sound, unlike say an overdrive? Are you looking for coloration (or not) from the circuit? I've always used a TR-2, and it's been good enough for me. I built the Moonshot and it sounds pretty much the same. Admittedly, this is not my effect of choice, but I'm curious to hear from the die-hards.
The shape and options is what does it for me. It's really about the transition between on and off and how smooth or rough it is. I usually like a smooth LFO so it's a subtle effect for rhythm stuff, but every now and then I like to be able to crank the depth and get a super choppy helicopter sound. I'm a fairly simple player, but a tremolo that can do both and sound good is a winner in my book.

I'm in search of a good tremolo with tap tempo. I have a Wavelord from Bean in my build pile, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Are there any other DIY tap-tempo tremolos out there? I wanted to build a Delyk Cherry Pie, but it doesn't look like those are available anymore.

I'm in search of a good tremolo with tap tempo. I have a Wavelord from Bean in my build pile, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Are there any other DIY tap-tempo tremolos out there? I wanted to build a Delyk Cherry Pie, but it doesn't look like those are available anymore.

Yes.
You can build another WaveLord.

i6n8oEL.jpg

I'm curious to learn more about this - about to build a Trembling Loon myself.
It’s C7. If you add another 10uf in parallel series on a footswitch it will cut the current rate in half (takes twice as long to charge the capacitance) when engaged. I used an intelligent relay board to allow for momentary speed bursts. You can play with the values to tailor the speed range to your liking, but these values worked for me

Edit: looking back at my build, I actually have the capacitors in series and electrically this makes sense since 2 caps in series of equal value will = 1/2 the total capacitance = faster speeds

Last edited:
Back