Which Zener Diode?

Chad11491

Hi All,

Building the Disarray currently. I ordered 51v zener diodes but they're too big to fit. I couldn't find anything for "51E" from the build doc "51E 51V Zener". Is there a specific diode that anyone has used for this build?

Strange circuit that one. ANY zener >3V that will fit in the holes will work. Not sure why the original designer chose zeners because they never get a chance to do their zener thing, they only conduct in the forward direction. That blue LED clamps the reverse voltage on the zeners to <4V. For that matter, you could use 1N4148s, it's not going to sound any different.

Well i have a ton of 4148’s on hand so I’ll socket them and see what happens! Haha, thanks all. This is the first time I encountered Zeners and had to look up what they did.

Another zener question, Derailer (Ethos) : 1N4678 - can't find that one, it's a 1,8 V … what can I use as a substitute ?
I have 2,1 V Zener , would they work ?

Ah, I see - there are some in the PedalPCB store ...

Last edited:
The effect of the different diode voltages could be pretty subtle and dependent on playing style, pickups, amp, etc. A YouTube video is just that. How it sounds to your ears is really all that matters.

I got the Disarray to build also, but looking at the build sheet, it has a lot of weird stuff. I'm going to use an NE5532 instead of JRC4580 and 1N4148 instead of the Zeners. Anybody else done this?

I bought the 1n4757A for that build 1W 51.0V...

1N4678 1.8V Zener Diode i have these coming today from Mr PedalPCB in my order

So which one do i use ?

Mike

Another zener question, Derailer (Ethos) : 1N4678 - can't find that one, it's a 1,8 V … what can I use as a substitute ?
I have 2,1 V Zener , would they work ?

Ah, I see - there are some in the PedalPCB store ...

btw i believe pedalpcb sells 1.8v zeners for the derailer, check the components section

Back