56p

I'm going to try TAYDA to source from since I'm planning build #3 and not in any rush.. It will be Greengage OD, Plumes based.

I'm building my cart at Tayda and am stuck on C3 and C7 which are 56p.

I am trying to use all WIMA for the Box Film type and cannot seem to find a 56p.

Per a google conversion tool, 56pF = .056nF = 000056uF.

Am I a moron that can't find a 56pF WIMA box film capacitor at Tayda?

The ONLY 56pF cap I can find at Tayda are ceramics but the PDF layout of the pedal clearly shows C3 and C7 to be box type.

I don't believe pedalpcb denotes ceramics with a special screen print. Use the capacitors that are common for their respective farad range. Tayda does not carry box caps lower than 1nF.

Thanks. I'm super new to this so I am not sure yet what common ones would be. Is it "normal" to use a Ceramic Disc or MLCC for a 56pF in this position? Tayda does have those just not in box film as you say. Glad I was not going crazy.

not that you would hear any difference using silver mica, but that is probably true for the wima caps as well.

Reactions: fig
not that you would hear any difference using silver mica, but that is probably true for the wima caps as well.
It is in the signal path, so any noticeable difference would be in noise level?

Our Sr. Resident Expert, Mr. @Chuck D. Bones has posted a good bit of information on the subject. I try to stick to his recommendation when I pick my caps...

In a nutshell:

up to 470pF: MLCC, silver-mica, monolithic ceramic. I try to avoid disk ceramics because they tend to be microphonic and have low reliability
470pF to 1uF: film
1uF to 47uF: tantalum
22uF on up: aluminum

To me that sums it up, 56p ceramic if you can't find anything else is OK.

all parts sourced at TAYDA and ordered. went with two diff types of 56p
56pF 50V Ceramic Disc Capacitor
and
56pF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor

I've been using ceramic discs with all my builds, without issues. And at Tayda they're half the price of MLCC! (1c instead of 2c :) )

I'd probably switch to MLCC if I didn't already have a surplus of disc caps, but I don't want to waste them even if they are pennies each.

My guideline is as follows: pF is usually ceramic disc or MLCC, nF is usually box, and uF is usually electrolytic. Remember: it’s a guideline, not a rule…

MLCC is the choice here as well for the PF range like that.. The only time I have went anything other than MLCC's was, and I believe it was that exact value, 56pf and a 30pf, or maybe like 32pf? can't recall, anyway, NOBODY that could ship to me quickly had anything but ceramic disc, so naturally I went with those. I now call that pedal "Squealing Pig"... I kid, I kid, it's fine, no issues with using Ceramic Disc on mine. lol

Back