Bring out yer Diptrace

Alright we're fixed and aligned to the tri pot setup that PPCB uses! This should work in both B and N1 enclosures with top jacks. Made some tweaks in an effort to give myself a consistent look: IO, LED, and power pads, etc. Took out the Platinum Chip, because it was just getting too busy, even for something you won't see…

Ldkox8v.png

I know it looks wonky, but the custom (elongated hexagon) #1 pads on the pots will be there in the final form. Although arguably this makes it look even wonkier hahaha:

View attachment 69244

Based on a test upload to JLC, it will drill out properly.
This came out glorious. Great work!
Are the IO pads 5.08mm spacing?
Look too far to be 2.54...

I could use some help (I hate asking for help) and I'm probably doing something stupid. I can't figure out why I'm getting clearance errors on my copper pour. got any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
1000003194.jpg 1000003195.png

Your Design Rule is set to warn you if the copper pour gets closer than 0.635mm from the edge of the board, but your copper pour clearance is set to extend 0.33mm from the edge.

Either change the clearance to a value higher than 0.635mm or change the design rule to accept something below 0.33mm.

I generally make sure there is some wiggle room there, if you set the design rule clearance to the exact same value as your actual clearance it'll throw an error on rounded corners.

1709095871957.png

Last edited:
Not DipTrace, but I've been playing with KiCad because I generally work on Mac and DT sucks there.
There's a learning curve but I have to say that KiCad has a lot going for it, it just feels less clunky and there's cool stuff to do.
Took me a while to build my footprint library again..
1709916436320.png

Check out that backside..
1709916451200.png

I hated building the schematic and then assigning footprint to each component in kicad before moving on to the board layout. I found it much more intuitive in diptrace. Now that I've got the hang of diptrace, maybe I'll try kicad again

I hated building the schematic and then assigning footprint to each component in kicad before moving on to the board layout. I found it much more intuitive in diptrace. Now that I've got the hang of diptrace, maybe I'll try kicad again
You can assign a footprint to a symbol in your library and then it’ll be done automatically. A bit of work to setup but then your layout process gets a lot faster.

Affordable prototyping = affordable mistakes = many lessons learned for $12.

dHtGODD.jpg

-I used a film cap footprint for one of the electrolytics 🙃 it's installed on the under-side of the board.
-One of the gangs on the footswitch daughter-boards is upside-down 🙃 I had to switch some wires around.
-LED daughter-board from my first PCB order is more borked than I care to explain :poop: but I made it work.

*Despite my mistakes, the circuit, Aleph Null's Peacock Parallel Fuzz is in-tact, functional and sounds absolutely fantastic in all of its' permutations!
Updated boards are in production- if you're interested, keep an eye out in the 'PIF' section in a week or two.

Still playing around but a major benefit is the footprints let you define labels a lot easier. I always hated messing around with that at the end of a layout.
You can define label positioning in a footprint in diptrace FWIW. Add text, right click it and select from the “show” menu. You’ll need to briefly populate refdes and value as you do it. This is how DT suggested doing bottom layer refdes labels and while that doesn’t work, it does let you nail label positions ahead of time

Affordable prototyping = affordable mistakes = many lessons learned for $12.

dHtGODD.jpg

-I used a film cap footprint for one of the electrolytics 🙃 it's installed on the under-side of the board.
-One of the gangs on the footswitch daughter-boards is upside-down 🙃 I had to switch some wires around.
-LED daughter-board from my first PCB order is more borked than I care to explain :poop: but I made it work.

*Despite my mistakes, the circuit, Aleph Null's Peacock Parallel Fuzz is in-tact, functional and sounds absolutely fantastic in all of its' permutations!
Updated boards are in production- if you're interested, keep an eye out in the 'PIF' section in a week or two.

WAY digging that little LED-CLR daughterboard. Cool as FORK!

AND LOVING this too:

HawmnGK.jpg

You can assign a footprint to a symbol in your library and then it’ll be done automatically. A bit of work to setup but then your layout process gets a lot faster.
You can also do it via a BOM sheet and it’s a good way to make sure each symbol has a corresponding footprint. I’m not at my computer right now, but I can show how to do it later. There’s a button up in the toolbar specifically for it.

Here you go:

https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/kicad-workflow-question-from-diptrace-user.19618/post-242695

You can copy/paste footprints or look them up 👍🏼

Back