DMM Recommendation

joelorigo

I am trying to measure some resistors and my DMM is lighting up every separate symbol on the LED screen.

Anyone want to recommend a good one?

Don't think I want to get the same one again which is this one:

I hadn't seen those plug-in component test sockets before. That's neat!

Are you testing transistors with that?
I don't test transistors with the DMM. I have a peak dca55 for bjt transistors and I test jfets on a geofx jfet matcher I made on Vero. The accuracy of a DMM for transistors isn't the best. For caps, frequency, diodes fv and other common uses it's perfect though

How accurate is the cap meter and how low is the resolution? A lot of meters tend to not be able to cope well with measuring lower capacitance.
the lowest range was 10pf, below that it struggles. With values below that I just throw them in the board unless they are super critical. I have tested up to 470u and it's been consistently accurate. I hang out in the biomedical engineering department in the hospital a lot and had tested it against various high end equipment with a variety of caps and it was always consistent to the more expensive equipment. for the bulk of pedal building I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I am trying to measure some resistors and my DMM is lighting up every separate symbol on the LED screen.

Anyone want to recommend a good one?

Don't think I want to get the same one again which is this one:
Did you check the battery? 99 times out of 100 when my MM is messin' up it's because of the batteries. One time in 24 years I needed to replace it.

I did. It still was not working correctly. It seems weird but I guess things like that can happen. I bought a new one already that was on a clearance sale!

Get a TC1 tester for germanium leakage. It also reads resistors caps diodes very quickly.
I only use a multimeter with unbent resistors, everything else is popped into the TC1 to make sure it's the correct value.
Reliable for transistors too, though sometimes one or two will read as a diode.

Back