frantone copyright strike

I just got one of these selling a cream pie on reverb. or actually i got it on august 1st and just noticed since they never emailed me and i assumed it was still listed. I know there are a few other people on these forums also selling some clones, and was wondering if anybody else around here ever sees any pedals being suspended from selling? I know there’s one other guy in my area that sells a ton of his own clones of the creampie pedalpcb circuit and seems to keep relisting and selling them.. anybody else have any issues with copyrights on reverb?

It really just kind of depends in my experience. They are a lot stricter about the title than the listing details; even if the listing title gets flagged or edited or whatever* you can say whatever in the listing details and it seems like they don’t care at all.
Sometimes you can can list it as “compare to (“real pedal name”)” and that will work. Doesn’t seem to be something that is too consistently enforced.

*in the past they’d typically contact you asking to change, lately it seems like they’ll just edit your title without saying anything.

reverb rep told me frantone flagged it for copyright. i was pretty upfront in the listing about it being a clone of the creampuff, had it listed under the name cream pie fuzz and my reverb profile says upfront i build clones haha. i did slap my own graphic and sticker on it and of course since i used a ppcb board it’s a 125b instead of the stock 1590 they’re original they’re made in. i try to do pedals that aren’t in production specifically because i don’t want to step on anybodies toes or steal profit from anybodies stuff on the market so i thought this one would be okay but i guess not haha i have heard fran say on her yt channel that she hates the quality of people building her circuits and most people get them wrong as well, i get the feeling she really doesn’t like the diy community haha

It really just kind of depends in my experience. They are a lot stricter about the title than the listing details; even if the listing title gets flagged or edited or whatever* you can say whatever in the listing details and it seems like they don’t care at all.
Sometimes you can can list it as “compare to (“real pedal name”)” and that will work. Doesn’t seem to be something that is too consistently enforced.

*in the past they’d typically contact you asking to change, lately it seems like they’ll just edit your title without saying anything.
yeah they straight up suspended my listing, apparently they emailed me about it but i never saw it and of course there was no in app message or anything. i certainly wasn’t shy about it being a clone and referred directly to the original, but i have a few similar listings up for other pedals as well, one for the ultraphonix which i would think would be a more sensitive listing since it’s actually on the market currently haha

Fran is cool, but also I'm not that surprised.

A friend of mine got flagged for using using "harmonic percolator clone" in the title of a reverb listing. I think the guy that owns the rights to Interfax scans listings regularly to enforce his trademark.

I saw that on Reddit today. I think it's witty, personally. Obviously I'd make my own if I wanted an HM2 clone, but that got my attention and made me laugh, so the seller is doing good.

I saw it too, and I didn’t even realize it was an HM-2. It’s actually very clever…

Back