Solder Fume Extractor?

DAJE

I thought there was a thread on this topic but I couldn't find it when I searched. Maybe it's the solder fumes making me hallucinate... no, probably not, because I have been doing damn-all soldering now that it's brass monkey weather in my part of the southern hemisphere. Because I need an open window and a fan blowing across my workspace towards the open window. Which works OK, but is probably not ideal. Especially when the weather is cold.

So I'm looking at an extractor like the one in the attached pic, which is affordable and locally available - I could go buy one tomorrow if I want. They seem to get decent reviews and the replacement filters are also affordable.

Notice how I keep using the word affordable? I don't want to spend hundreds of $AU, worthless though they are in comparison to, well, every other currency except the $NZ.

So the questions are:
(1) Anyone tried the one in the pic?
(2) Anyone know a good alternative that is also affordable and locally available to me in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia?

EDIT: GOT ONE, thanks for your participation in this thread.

Attachments

• TS1580-solder-fume-extractor-240vacImageMain-900.jpg
    TS1580-solder-fume-extractor-240vacImageMain-900.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have one that looks pretty similar to that (bought from mouser) and it does the job. Can't help you with the local to you part. I'd guess that one is probably adequate

I have one that looks pretty similar to that (bought from mouser) and it does the job. Can't help you with the local to you part. I'd guess that one is probably adequate
They're available everywhere, though they may be sold under different names, that's why I went with a picture. They seem to get good reviews in general.

Reactions: fig
I bought some filter material and stuck some on a computer fan. I think anything that moves air is a lot better than nothing.

The haako ones look really cool, but I assume they're all pretty similar functionally.

solder has fumes? ewww :ROFLMAO:

Mine is just the cheap yellow one I've seen a few others with. It extracts the fumes from the working area, blasts it through a piece of foam (supposedly fused with charcoal) and disperses it throughout the room (my guitars, clothes, tools, etc. Gee I hope that's the good charcoal! :oops:

I have the same one. Paid about 25 euros for it locally. It uses those black foam filters (PSA don't make coffee with them)

It works if it's within 10-15cm from the workpiece (which should be about 700 stone, 15 fathoms and 15 fluid ounces in your units)

Otherwise it just makes noise and not much else.
I think it works better if you flip it around and use it blow the fumes awards towards an open window (or a partner who complains about you buying another guitar).

I have the same one. Paid about 25 euros for it locally. It uses those black foam filters (PSA don't make coffee with them)

It works if it's within 10-15cm from the workpiece (which should be about 700 stone, 15 fathoms and 15 fluid ounces in your units)
Australians use the metric system. Pretty much everyone does, more or less, including at least some Americans. It's really only a few old fogies that are still clinging to hogsbreath and barrelsworths or whatever they call that medieval stuff.
Otherwise it just makes noise and not much else.
I think it works better if you flip it around and use it blow the fumes awards towards an open window (or a partner who complains about you buying another guitar).
I play in a band with my ex, but she's a guitarist and actively encourages me to buy more gear. Musician women, they have their good points.

I thought there was a thread on this topic but I couldn't find it when I searched. Maybe it's the solder fumes making me hallucinate... no, probably not, because I have been doing damn-all soldering now that it's brass monkey weather in my part of the southern hemisphere. Because I need an open window and a fan blowing across my workspace towards the open window. Which works OK, but is probably not ideal. Especially when the weather is cold.

So I'm looking at an extractor like the one in the attached pic, which is affordable and locally available - I could go buy one tomorrow if I want. They seem to get decent reviews and the replacement filters are also affordable.

Notice how I keep using the word affordable? I don't want to spend hundreds of $AU, worthless though they are in comparison to, well, every other currency except the $NZ.

So the questions are:
(1) Anyone tried the one in the pic?
(2) Anyone know a good alternative that is also affordable and locally available to me in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia?
I have the Weller model, which is virtually identical to the one in the picture except for the feet (mine doesn't have the line in the middle of the foot). It's more than enough power to filter out the smoke. The filter has activated charcoal and does a good job of neutralizing the acrid fumes. I noticed I was getting pain in my sinus and corners of my eyes after soldering, and that's no longer the case.

Aliexpress has a plethora of models. I bought mine used and got a great deal on the price....

I also built one using a computer fan and some carbon filters. Works well enough if I'm pretty close, but I may look at something more powerful eventually
There's a video by Schematix where he builds one with an extra powerful computer fan. Really cool project if you have access to a 3d printer
Found the link

Oversharing a bit, are we?

Me too btw. I hold the solder with the right hand and the iron with the wrong hand
I have hands! 😁

Have you ever been doing a task that you've done a go-zillion times, like chopping an onion or raking leaves..[insert rudimentary chore]...

...wait there was more to that I'm sure....😖.....oh yeah!.....and then try reversing the dominant hand or eye/stance to measure the effect?

Australians use the metric system. Pretty much everyone does, more or less, including at least some Americans. It's really only a few old fogies that are still clinging to hogsbreath and barrelsworths or whatever they call that medieval stuff.
Hey I live in NY and prefer to measure everything in metric! Then again, I was born in Germany...but only lived there till I was 10. I like that I get to use bigger numbers with metric if ya catch my drift 😝

I have hands! 😁

Have you ever been doing a task that you've done a go-zillion times, like chopping an onion or raking leaves..[insert rudimentary chore]...

...wait there was more to that I'm sure....😖.....oh yeah!.....and then try reversing the dominant hand or eye/stance to measure the effect?
No but I know how to chop onions without crying. I have won money with it at house parties - that's how fun those parties were

I use a small fan that hangs over my workstation which blows the fumes away from me to the corner of the garage. I might get a fume extractor one of these days, though.

As far as measurements go, I tend to think and work in inches because that's what I always grew up with. I appreciate the ease of metric and have a basic understanding of it, how it works, and it's ease of use, but I just don't have the concept of it in my mind, I suppose, in terms of what the numbers mean as far as estimating the size of something. I always prefer metric hardware and tooling, though, because it just makes so much more sense to me when dealing with tooling and hardware. It's weird, I guess.

Back