Solder Fume Extractor?

Check AliExpress if shipping from mainland China is cheap for you.
Cheap extractors to be had or if you want to diy, as I did, you can buy a large sheet of the the activated carbon filter material for a few bucks.
I use a repurposed equipment cabinet fan(19 wide with 3 large 120v fans) that I acquired from work. It's wired to a switched powerstrip that turns both the fan and my iron on. Helps me not forget to turn the fan on and not forget to turn the iron off. :)

Check AliExpress if shipping from mainland China is cheap for you.
Cheap extractors to be had or if you want to diy, as I did, you can buy a large sheet of the the activated carbon filter material for a few bucks.
I use a repurposed equipment cabinet fan(19 wide with 3 large 120v fans) that I acquired from work. It's wired to a switched powerstrip that turns both the fan and my iron on. Helps me not forget to turn the fan on and not forget to turn the iron off. :)
Could get one cheaper from AliExpress, or even eBay/Amazon, but I can pay a little bit more and get one today, which is worth it to me. Or tomorrow, maybe.

I have one much like that in the OP's pic. Bought it from Jaycar. It works as long as it's close to the work. The filter on mine is now a sort of fluffy white, which I guess indicates that it has lead stuck to it. It sure beats sucking in fumes directly from the iron. Now I get to breathe them in long after the smell has dissipated.

I use metric for everything except amplifier cabinet building. Because I mainly build tweed style cabs and they were made in the US it's just easier to use inches. I can see the attraction for using inches and fractions but it doesn't take long before I wish I was back in metric! Our timber is still largely sold in feet and inches even though it's measured in mm. For example the boards of pine we use are 19mm thick - 3/4" or 1" dressed. The length I normally buy is 2400, or 8'. And in houses doors are still 2100 high by 900 wide - better known as 7' by 3'.

And even though I live in a metric country our feet are still measured in barleycorns. Crazy!

I have one much like that in the OP's pic. Bought it from Jaycar. It works as long as it's close to the work. The filter on mine is now a sort of fluffy white, which I guess indicates that it has lead stuck to it. It sure beats sucking in fumes directly from the iron. Now I get to breathe them in long after the smell has dissipated.
Jaycar is where I'm going. I'm not a big fan but they're OK for stuff like this. And there's one a few km from me.
I use metric for everything except amplifier cabinet building. Because I mainly build tweed style cabs and they were made in the US it's just easier to use inches. I can see the attraction for using inches and fractions but it doesn't take long before I wish I was back in metric! Our timber is still largely sold in feet and inches even though it's measured in mm. For example the boards of pine we use are 19mm thick - 3/4" or 1" dressed. The length I normally buy is 2400, or 8'. And in houses doors are still 2100 high by 900 wide - better known as 7' by 3'.

And even though I live in a metric country our feet are still measured in barleycorns. Crazy!
I'm familiar enough with feet and inches for a loose understanding, but yes, fractions of an inch are the stupidest measurement ever. Nine sixteenths of an inch? Just tell me how many millimetres, you loony.

Edit: I do know what 25.5 and 24.75 inches are, though. And 30/32/34 inches too. Also speaker sizes. That's about the only thing I use the US system for.

Last edited:
Jaycar is where I'm going. I'm not a big fan but they're OK for stuff like this. And there's one a few km from me.

I'm familiar enough with feet and inches for a loose understanding, but yes, fractions of an inch are the stupidest measurement ever. Nine sixteenths of an inch? Just tell me how many millimetres, you loony.

Edit: I do know what 25.5 and 24.75 inches are, though. And 30/32/34 inches too. Also speaker sizes. That's about the only thing I use the US system for.
Fractions are counterintuitive. It's why the third pound burger failed. Yet Americans still use them all the time. Drives me nuts.
Nut width 1 5/8 or 1 11/16? Why not try a 1 17/32? Or a 1 33/64?

I had to deal with fractions of an inch on a dating app once upon a midnight dreary when I received a peculiar request, which involved a camera and a tape measure, from an American size queen.
Yada yada yada I'm still single.

Soldering extractor fan??? That takes all the fun out of it, and ya don’t get to enjoy that sweet, sweet smell of molten leaded solder!!! All kidding aside, I do like the smell of leaded solder. It takes me back to my youth when my dad would be soldering something, and I could smell it. That may explain a lot of things for me! Screw eating paint chips as a kid, I inhaled mine!lol

Soldering extractor fan??? That takes all the fun out of it, and ya don’t get to enjoy that sweet, sweet smell of molten leaded solder!!! All kidding aside, I do like the smell of leaded solder. It takes me back to my youth when my dad would be soldering something, and I could smell it. That may explain a lot of things for me! Screw eating paint chips as a kid, I inhaled mine!lol
You're smelling the flux, not the solder IIRC

I use this it works quite well.

360_F_62233042_HlVDQhZuw1XQtbZoSz8WUHIEBSghvOe3.jpg

Back