Spirit Box - I put this in upside down didn’t I

Oh_Discordia!

EA03FCF6-5EE0-4326-8ED9-BACDCF0138E6.jpeg
Took my time, drilled everything properly….damn jacks have nowhere to live. I’m thinking the reverb module needs to live on the other side of the board. Yea?

What’s the best way to approach this? I tried a (cheap) sucker and some solder wick. Just made myself frustrated.
De-soldering can be tough and you just have to get a feel for it. If you have some strip board or anything else you can solder some leads to it and practice I think that'd be best.

I like a solder sucker and use the fancy "Engineer" branded one from Amazon. Lots of people like braid as well, but just find what works best for you. If you start to get frustrated just sit it down and walk away for a while.

If you just snipped the pins off as close to the board as possible do you think you'd have enough left to resolder from other side? I used a leaf style socket for mine and had to cut the pins down a bit on purpose. See:

It'll be far easier to remove the remnants of each pin one at a time than to try and get the whole thing out. You could also just tack some wire onto the pins like @jimilee suggested above if you end up a bit short.

If you just snipped the pins off as close to the board as possible do you think you'd have enough left to resolder from other side? I used a leaf style socket for mine and had to cut the pins down a bit on purpose. See:

It'll be far easier to remove the remnants of each pin one at a time than to try and get the whole thing out. You could also just tack some wire onto the pins like @jimilee suggested above if you end up a bit short.
after a 2nd try I've decided to snip/clean out the pads and resolder. there should be enough pin left even if I need to reshape them to fit through the holes.

I always use a higher temp when I desolder, especially with solder wick.

Use a higher temp, be quick with the iron and take your time. This isn’t an in and out in five minute job.

If you’ve got a cheap solder pump don’t bother with it. The ss-02 works really well because of the silicon tip having a little flexibility to it. Hard tipped ones are not easy to use, especially where there are other components nearby that can get in the way.

There are good tips above about using wick, flux helps, adding a little solder does sometimes as well. Remember to tin your iron every time you use the wick, cause the wick will suck your tip dry as well and it needs to be tinned to transfer heat to the pad.

Let the board and pads cool for a little bit between each pad. It might take a couple tries for each, letting things cool between tries will actually make it easier.

As pointed out by Jimi, you can always run wire if you need to, but hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

De-soldering can be tough and you just have to get a feel for it. If you have some strip board or anything else you can solder some leads to it and practice I think that'd be best.

I like a solder sucker and use the fancy "Engineer" branded one from Amazon. Lots of people like braid as well, but just find what works best for you. If you start to get frustrated just sit it down and walk away for a while.
I've been using the Engineer solder sucker as well for the past few month. There is no going back. The flexible tip and the amount of suction makes it one of the most useful tool in my box ...

Back