What strings do you guys use?

drgonzo1969

Sorry if this was already being discussed in other thread. I just got all my gear unpacked and set up after moving. Most of my guitars need a restring at this point. I was thinking about switching to coated strings for the guitars I play less often so I tried some Stringjoy’s. Haven’t gotten them in the mail yet but I was curious what you guys use. I like the Ernie Ball Cobalt’s for my main guitar. What do you guys like and why? I need bass and acoustic strings too so all opinions are welcome. Thanks

D'Addario PL016
D'Addario NYS018*
D'Addario NYNW026*
D'Addario NW036 XL
D'Addario NW046 XL
D'Addario NW059 XL

Open D lapsteel tuning. Benders keep snapping * otherwise.

Last edited:
I started getting stringjoys about six months ago because I use a lot of different tunings and they cater well to that. 5-string in 5ths, 7-string in M3, baritone, bass VI.

Before that mostly D’Addario, before that Earnie Ball. Before that, my first guitar teacher sold strings at his store “Big Daddy Ralph’s Guitar Strings- made from melted down Cadillac bumpers.

That might have been false advertising…

Ernie Ball and/or D'Addarrio basic strings, with a couple singles subbed in for better tension balance and/or wound 3rd, etc. Buying strings is our excuse for driving across town to play all the guitars & amps for a couple hours at the local guitar shop 🤷‍♂️

Depends.

Daddario XS on my 6 stringers, X-heavy top, medium bottom. Tuned to C standard.

Elixir light top, heavy bottom on my 7's. 64 on low A, 80 on low G.
One tuned a whole step down, one tuned to double drop (GDADBBEe).

I got 12 sets of the bulk packs at Juststrings.com as it comes out to about $4 a set and I can pick out my own gauges.

What started me off was trying out the D'Addario balanced sets which felt better, but I like heavier lower strings. I got one of their balanced bass sets, and am happy with it. I also got some Ernie Ball sets that have some "in between" sizes that come close.

D'Addario just brought back their tension calculator which doesn't need to be followed exactly, but does help get me closer to what I want: https://www.daddario.com/string-tension-pro

I'll try Stringjoy next. They talk about their balanced sets here:
and their tension calculator: https://tension.stringjoy.com/

D’addario chromes flat wounds for most of my guitars, Stringjoy for the ones I have rounds on. My Bass VI's have Pyramid Bass VI flat wound sets that are exclusive to Thomann (these do not fit squier or fender VIs, I have non-vibrato VIs). I'm dying for Stringjoy to release flat wounds because I love that custom sets aren't any more expensive than standard sets and I would love to get pickier about the flats I play as long as they're as bright as chromes.

edit to add string gauges:
- I use 11-50 flat wound chromes tuned to C# standard
- I use a custom 11-56 round wound stringjoy set (11, 14, wound 20, 32, 44, 56) tuned to C standard
- 10-46 stringjoys for E standard

Last edited:
I use EBs or Daddarios. 9s, 9.5s, and 10s. I've been phasing out the 10s for lighter gauges, but still have some to use up.

Back