Echo Foxtrot - yet another simple tube preamp (coming soon)

vigilante398

Authorized Vendor
This one has the same holdup as Space Heater, it's going to go into a 125B enclosure but the current Tayda 125B have thicker walls than the Hammond enclosure I designed around so I need to source some enclosures (out for delivery today) from somewhere else to make sure I can make it fit without asking people to grind down the lip on the bottom cover.

ANYWAY to the point, Echo Foxtrot is a simple tube preamp using an EF86 small-signal pentode, famously found in the likes of Vox and Matchless amplifiers. EF86 has a very distinct tone that is hard to get from another tube, there's just nothing quite like it. It's a single stage, so it won't overdrive by itself, but naturally it could be pushed into overdrive by a boost in front, or you could use it as a boost to push something else into overdrive. Super simple controls, just Volume and Tone. Takes a 9VDC input and steps it up internally to 240V or so.

I've designed a through-hole DIY board for this project, but SMD is so much faster to verify for prototypes, so I put that together last night to see how it sounds, and it sounds excellent. I'm going to try to get the DIY version verified in the next day or two so I can make those boards available, but this is what the SMD version looks like:

293756193_574317967755075_1902465795482811173_n.jpg 294365572_765785111123203_4530551774581445780_n.jpg 294333268_603247768181547_5410635339292242184_n.jpg

I said before SMD of 805 sizing is fine by me... IF the chips don't hit the floor :ROFLMAO: I'd love to have either version. Right now I know LMS has them for 10cents cheaper and similar volume and the thinner walls or just calling up the road to Stompbox/Cusack, might be higher but also what is the shipping costs and wait times and/or you able to acquire a civilian truck with a topper on to go pick them up?

Last edited:
I said before SMD of 805 sizing is fine by me... IF the chips don't hit the floor :ROFLMAO: I'd love to have either version. Right now I know LMS has them for 10cents cheaper and similar volume and the thinner walls or just calling up the road to Stompbox/Cusack, might be higher but also what is the shipping costs and wait times and/or you able to acquire a civilian truck with a topper on to go pick them up?
All the SMD boards are pick and placed, so nothing to solder there. I'm considering doing a handful of these SMD builds to send to a distributor, through-hole would be the only thing available as a board for sale.

Stompboxparts is where I ordered the boxes, they're not far from me so shipping is fast and cheap. I'm always looking for deals though, when I'm ready to order bulk I'll look around and see what deals I can get. I typically order from Tayda for my customer builds and their prices are generally hard to beat, plus I like the feel of the thicker walled enclosures.

Yup, I have that in the DIY through-hole version as well. The bypass indicator LED is still on the footswitch board, but there is an always-on LED under the tube.
If they do it for switches and bezels...
Is a nice touch and for those using the vented enclosures don't have the hit the edge of tube melting to get the glow!

I completely forgot to release this. Whoops. The DIY through-hole boards have been verified and they work and sound great, they fit the exact same enclosure as the Space Heater. There are a couple places where I may recommend alternate components as there are a couple odd values (82k and 2.87k resistor) that aren't that important and can be substituted. But if people want to try it out I can get it put together.

I’ll be down for one or two when the space heater buffer boards are done. It should fit fine in a Tayda enclosure with just a little bit of dremel work, right?

I completely forgot to release this. Whoops. The DIY through-hole boards have been verified and they work and sound great, they fit the exact same enclosure as the Space Heater. There are a couple places where I may recommend alternate components as there are a couple odd values (82k and 2.87k resistor) that aren't that important and can be substituted. But if people want to try it out I can get it put together.
Ugh you're killing me man....heh....I was just looking at the re-launched Dr. Z Z28 EF86 amp.

I'm assuming you mean the Black Eye buffers. Haven't seen any oscillation problems with Space Heater, it's a low-gain design.
RIGHT !
SO SORRY!

I was just cribbing from Bricksnbeatles post #12, got caught cheating.

Does this mean I have to stay after Class A amplification?

Also if you ever do SMD diy projects, I’m down for a 125B Wattson 😉
Best of luck to you on that :p I have a stripped down "clean channel" version of the Dr. Wattson that I'm calling "Elementary" that uses a single tube, that could probably be done through-hole in a 125B if you're okay with obnoxious right angle daughter boards for the tube socket. But the reason I've been doing these boards with the straight pin pots and vertical PCBs is to make them easier to build so you don't have to suffer like I do :p

Back