Tayda Enclosure Warning

Cybercow

Just got in a Tayda 1590DD enclosure and that I had painted and drilled at a different shop. When it arrived, I started to go about the task of mounting the pots to start the guts-stuff-testing only to find that the walls on that enclosure will NOT allow the nuts on the 9mm pots to catch onto the shaft housing threads. I thought: "WTF?" . . . . So I got out some 16mm pots to see if they would still mount properly. Turns out 16mm pot nuts still caught on the threads, but only barely. Then I got out my micrometer to measure the thickness of the top of the enclosure. It measured consistently at 4.5mm. Again . . . "WTF?"

I can't use 16mm pots because of how the pot spacing is laid out - they're too close together to allow 16mm pots. 12mm pots would fit, but I don't stock 'em and never considered 'em.

In any case, (no pun intended, but there it is), watch out for more "seconds for the masses" from Tayda. A 4.3mm thickness on enclosure walls is way too thick for 9mm pots. I've ordered 12mm pots for the thick-walled (finished) enclosure to see if they will fit. And am sending the machining/painting house a fresh glossy-white 1590DD (from LMS) that is of standard 2.5mm thickness. Guess I'll be building two of them now if the 12mm pots work in the thick-walled box.

Watch out out there. Happy building!

Have you tried without a washer? Although there wasn’t a lot of thread to catch, I’ve been able to install 9mm pots on tayda enclosures. However, I haven’t tried on the 1590DD, so that may have a substantial increase in wall thickness compared to other sizes.

cram hole adjusters
iu

Have you tried without a washer? Although there wasn’t a lot of thread to catch, I’ve been able to install 9mm pots on tayda enclosures. However, I haven’t tried on the 1590DD, so that may have a substantial increase in wall thickness compared to other sizes.
Yes. I've tried it without the washer and it still won't catch. Besides, without washers, the pot nuts would foul the paint job. I prefer not to risk it.

Last edited:
Back