What Big Muff should I build next?

neiltheseal

Hello again.

I just did an order from Madbean and threw in a Big Muff pcb, because why not?

The problem is I can’t decide which version to build next, so here I am looking for suggestions.

I have currently:
- Green Russian nano reissue
- violet ram’s head clone
- op amp clone
- hizumitas clobe
- DBA fuzz war 2 clone

I have been thinking about the triangle variant, but am concerned it will be too similar to the hizumitas to be worthwhile.

Ideally I’m looking for one that sounds as different as possible to what I have above.

Please help!

Hello again.

I just did an order from Madbean and threw in a Big Muff pcb, because why not?

The problem is I can’t decide which version to build next, so here I am looking for suggestions.

I have currently:
- Green Russian nano reissue
- violet ram’s head clone
- op amp clone
- hizumitas clobe
- DBA fuzz war 2 clone

I have been thinking about the triangle variant, but am concerned it will be too similar to the hizumitas to be worthwhile.

Ideally I’m looking for one that sounds as different as possible to what I have above.

Please help!
Emanating Fist Dope Priest? I don’t have the component values offhand, but you should be able to trace them out from this layout without much difficulty. It’s a muff, but it definitely has its own thing going.

Another fun one could be a take on the Super Tonebender– just do one to Violet specs, and omit the first set of clipping diodes
this is a great idea. Although I just put a switch in my violet to remove the first clipping diodes.

The “Mask Us” BOM is a pretty good circuit. Sounds very unique compared to other BMP circuits. The later Triangle circuits were smooth and silky, where as the earlier ones were a bit grittier/fatter/tweedyer. The 73 Ram’s Head is a fun circuit, as is the 73 #5. And of course, there’s The 47 Ram’s Head, which is an entirely different vibe. How about a V3? No one ever builds a V3. I built one. It’s very generic. I prefer the Civil War to the Green Russian. It’s less pushy, and a bit fuller/creamier…

Also, the Foxey Lady was OEM, so whatever BMP circuit was being made at a particular time got a Guild logo. That means most are Triangle variants, and some are Ram’s Head circuits. Robert Fripp’s Guild Foxey Lady was a 1972 Triangle circuit…

BUMP! So which one did you decide on?

Thanks. Do you think these are noticeably different than the green Russian?
No. At least I don't think so. If you read Kit Rae's page with all the schematics, the Civil War and Red Army will be in the same vein *(damn near identical) to your Green Russian.

Maybe try Robert's Acid Rain or Quarantine/Raincoat (the latter two are the same circuit).
Neither of these two circuits has clipping diodes, so they should give a distinctly different vibe from a regular Muff.

BUMP! So which one did you decide on?

No. At least I don't think so. If you read Kit Rae's page with all the schematics, the Civil War and Red Army will be in the same vein *(damn near identical) to your Green Russian.

Maybe try Robert's Acid Rain or Quarantine/Raincoat (the latter two are the same circuit).
Neither of these two circuits has clipping diodes, so they should give a distinctly different vibe from a regular Muff.
Hey! I actually went with a V9 NYC. I breadboarded a big muff when I was starting out and really liked it. I got the schematic from Beavis and from my research that schematic seemed to be the closest to the v9.

From this thread I also made a peach fuzz which is very nice.

I also put together a big muff pcb from easy eda so this will let make at least 5more muffs. Although I am yet to actually do this. I have been distracted by other projects.

Thanks for the comment re the civil war/red army. I was heavily considering these but there is no need to recreate the green russian.

Back