Blu Tack vs Blue Painters Tape

Geez. When I put through hole parts in, I use small pliers to pull them down all the way (or with larger resistors I’ll have a removable spacer under the resistor), then I pull the leads out to 45 degrees. Since I’m on the anal end of the spectrum, I go around and just solder one lead at a time (also good in terms of keeping component heat down), flip the board over and make any azimuth adjustments necessary to meet my geometric urges, and then solder the second leads.

I also tend to trim the leads to ~1/4 inch after I’ve pulled them out at the angle, so as to keep access better and to shorten the soldering time.

For tiny parts, or parts with very short leads, I use my slide lock tweezers.

I bend the legs of resistors and caps.
Sockets and anything that has more that 2 leads, I tack 1 lead quickly with my iron, position it while applying just enough heat, then solder everything without forgetting to go back at that first lead.

Togglesand pots, I install them in the drilled enclosure.

I bend the legs of resistors and caps.
Sockets and anything that has more that 2 leads, I tack 1 lead quickly with my iron, position it while applying just enough heat, then solder everything without forgetting to go back at that first lead.

Togglesand pots, I install them in the drilled enclosure.
I don't bend the legs anymore. I've made my share of mistakes, and keeping the legs straight makes desoldering a whole lot easier. It also makes it easier to prevent and correct solder bridges.

Pretty much the only thing I ever use blue tack for anymore is when a circuit has just one or two random tall caps that make it sit awkwardly to solder.

Even then what I’ll typically end up doing is not messing with any tack or tape and will just do a tiny “tack solder” to hold the component in place then kinda flip it over and hold it with my thumb/finger to put the rest of the solder in.

Blob of blue tack ( I can only find craft paste here, it's white and not too sticky) o the bench.
For components that don't move like resistors and diodes I press one edge of the PCB onto it, the other edge sits on the bench. Just enough so it doesn't move around.

I Put masking tape over sockets and then press it onto the Bleu tack

caps I hold in place with tape and use third hands to keep the board off the bench. I solder one leg, reposition the caps and solder the other leg. If i care about straight caps. Otherwise both legs at once

I've joined camp no-bend. I'd rather the components look kind of whack and still be able to remove them more easily. Maybe I was bending the leads too much before, but I do think that painters tape, at least, can keep most things flush most of the time.
I do a mild bend. Not fully peened over that it’s hard to remove if necessary (although for resistors that cost like $0.01/ea, I’ll snip first then responder- why risk a board for something that cheap), but not just dropped in as well.
I bend just enough that they don’t fall out AND are making good physical contact with the pad

I do a mild bend. Not fully peened over that it’s hard to remove if necessary (although for resistors that cost like $0.01/ea, I’ll snip first then responder- why risk a board for something that cheap), but not just dropped in as well.
I bend just enough that they don’t fall out AND are making good physical contact with the pad
I feel like this is hard to achieve. A slight bend will keep the component from falling out, but the component will still fall down at least a few mm. The only way, in my experience, to prevent that is to bend the leads quite a bit, and then the components become more difficult to remove if needed.

I feel like this is hard to achieve. A slight bend will keep the component from falling out, but the component will still fall down at least a few mm. The only way, in my experience, to prevent that is to bend the leads quite a bit, and then the components become more difficult to remove if needed.
I usually pull the leads and bend a bit (15-20 degrees?) until I’m confident the component won’t fall out.

I did see something that followed a similar concept.
It was a square frame that held the board. You dropped all components in the PCB, laid a sheet of foam over the components and locked the lid on which held them in place. Then you would simply flip over and solder up the board.

Edit: see video linked below to get a better idea. It’s not cheap!
Man this one sent me down a fun rabbit hole. Based on this thread I did buy some orange masking tape but "PCB assembly jig" or "pcb assembly frame" are definitely the better search terms than "pcb holder." John Collier DIY'd one here for ~$100 in parts. A lot documented there is more work than I'm willing to do (and the type of work that I do not do well). 'm on the fence about snagging one up for $160 on ebay

Last edited:
I don't remove components alot but when I do I heat it up and bend it straight. Seems like much less work to me.

Also, one of the benefits of bending the leads for me is that I don't have to have the iron out to populate the board. I populate a little bit here and there and store the unsoldered board in a bag until I eventually get around to soldering it.
1000006945.jpg 1000006946.jpg

Also, one of the benefits of bending the leads for me is that I don't have to have the iron out to populate the board. I populate a little bit here and there and store the unsoldered board in a bag until I eventually get around to soldering it.
View attachment 73376View attachment 73377
That just looks like way too many opportunities for solder bridges for me. I just stick them all in, tape them all down, and solder away, timing the legs along the way.

That's pretty cool Aentons.

Not sure that would work for me and the way I attempt to complete builds, but it's cool to see something different than the median-norm.

I use the green tape, either Frog or Stikk brand. A piece will last me several builds, and it comes in handy for on the fly drilling templates, writing down what controls are what, or quick notes I don't need to keep around forever

For the way I build, blue tack doesn't work for me- I populate and solder all similar-sized components at once
I accidentally left a roll of this outside and it rained. When I looked at it all the gel had oozed out of the tape and dripped all over the place. One of those "ah crap" moments......

I bend the legs, but if I need to hold something in place I use silly putty. just don't get it too hot or its a mess

Back