Duo Phase based on Mu tron Bi phase or Bi phase II?

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
I would like to know which version of the Mu tron Bi phase the Duo phase is based on. My brothers Bday is coming up in Feb and he loves modulations and such so i figured id build him this monster! Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

EDIT: If i had only done a little more research....🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Neither, exactly...

The Phase II is based on the Phasor II, which is basically 1/2 of the Bi-Phase.

The Duo-Phase is two Phase II's with the ability to synchronize the LFOs (in phase and 180 degrees out of phase).

It's comparable (aside from the expression control and square wave modulation), but not a direct clone.

The Bi-Phase II is a completely different beast. The signal path is similar, but the LFO, expression, and CV control is completely different... In fact, the CV control portion of the Bi-Phase II alone is more complex than the entire Duo-Phase circuit.

The Bi-Phase II does not sound as good as the Phase II / Duo-Phase to my ears.

Neither, exactly...

The Phase II is based on the Phasor II, which is basically 1/2 of the Bi-Phase.

The Duo-Phase is two Phase II's with the ability to synchronize the LFOs (in phase and 180 degrees out of phase).

It's comparable (aside from the expression control and square wave modulation), but not a direct clone.

The Bi-Phase II is a completely different beast. The signal path is similar, but the LFO, expression, and CV control is completely different... In fact, the CV control portion of the Bi-Phase II alone is more complex than the entire Duo-Phase circuit.

The Bi-Phase II does not sound as good as the Phase II / Duo-Phase to my ears.
I was leaning towards the Duo phase but the Phase II has caught my attention. Maybe i get the Phase II for me and get the Duo phase for him! Thanks for the response ill be honest after seeing the demos of the original Phase II i stayed away from it hence the original question of this thread. The phasing sounded very weak in comparison to the first Bi Phase.

The Phase II is definitely not weak. It's by far my favorite phaser.

The Duo-Phase is cool too, 12-stages of phase is nice, but I can't say it's 2x as good as the Phase II.

I do like being able to dial one in slow and wide, and the other fast and shallow, for a big sweeping shimmering effect, but you can do that just as well with two Phase II's.

Well how about 2 Phase II in 1? With stereo? You think he'd like that? Tyring to get creative here :D
EDIT: I clearly didnt read your last sentence correctly haha
This decision is made then! 2 Phase II in 1

That'd basically be the Duo-Phase. The two sides are wired up independently so you could run it in stereo if you install all four jacks.

My head is going to explode. Ok then im just going to get the Duo Phase :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Plus i wont have to make a bunch of teepees for my resistors ;)

If you wire it up using the 4-jack diagram in the doc you can plug into the first input, then tap out of each output for stereo operation.

The first output will have 6 stages of phase, the second will have 12 stages.

Then you have the option of syncing and/or inverting the second output.

If you wire it up using the 4-jack diagram in the doc you can plug into the first input, then tap out of each output for stereo operation.

The first output will have 6 stages of phase, the second will have 12 stages.

Then you have the option of syncing and/or inverting the second output.
Thats going to be killer! I might have to grab one for myself i can tell im going to build it and then have trouble sending it off :rolleyes: Thanks for clearing things up!

So many ... Decisions...
Phase II, or Phase II and Phase II, or Duo-Phase, or Phasor or Buy Phase II, or buy two Phasor IIs or half a Bi-Phase II, or buy Duo-Phase or Bi-Phase II to have or half a Bi-Phasor II to buy a duo Phase II ...

On the good chip, lollipoop...

Back