How to clean enclosure threads

Ctrl4Smilerz

I got a drilled and painted enclosure from Tayda that I just can't get the screws for the cover in. I tried cleaning the paint, but it goes pretty deep into the hole. Anyone have some tips on how to clear the threads?

I go slowly, screw half a turn, backup a quarter and continue. If there is to much resistance, I back up a little and retry.

I go slowly, screw half a turn, backup a quarter and continue. If there is to much resistance, I back up a little and retry.
That's my normal go to, but it's not working with this one. It looks like a lot of paint got in there.

You’re going to have to use a tap if it’s as bad as it seems. My last batch from Tayda were a little sloppy in that regard. Have you contacted Tayda to ask about it?
Yes, I contacted them, and they asked if I could clean the threads out. I figured I would check here to see if they are some tricks I didn't think of before pushing back.

Probably not the best way to do it but...I keep some spare screws on hand and just slam one in with an impact driver. That usually clears it right up...

Throw that donor screw away and put in the proper one and you're set..

If you’re buying a tap just for this purpose, get a “bottoming” or “plug” style tap, they don’t taper as much and thread cut to the bottom of the hole.
I haven't found it necessary to use a bottoming tap because the holes really go through the whole enclosure depth. The screws only go in 1/2" or so. I run the tap in about half way and it's gtg.

But I will add, if you've never used a tap before, there's a bit of a process. Go in one turn then back it out 1/2 a turn, then go in until it "bites" again for a turn, then back it out 1/2 a turn. Otherwise your tap might get stuck....

...they asked if I could clean the threads out.
Funny how you pay for a service and you get a product that requires further work. Before anyone says it, I know Tayda's drill/powder/UV service is a great value, but it could be immensely improved if they'd spend only a couple minutes more on prep.

Thank you @MichaelW, I wasn't sure what size they were so I learned something new today too! I tried the taps I had on hand and none matched so I'll grab one of these next time I spend money with Dr. Evil.

But I will add, if you've never used a tap before, there's a bit of a process. Go in one turn then back it out 1/2 a turn, then go in until it "bites" again for a turn, then back it out 1/2 a turn. Otherwise your tap might get stuck....
I'd also recommend running the tap lightly over a candle stub before using it. In my shop for most materials, we switched to using a cutting wax (but especially for this use, candle wax is just fine) instead of cutting oils. Much less mess.

This is the tap I use...

images

The screws still don't fit great in paint-filled enclosure-pockets, but if you hit the tap enough you just don't care and ram 'm in there.

Back